Picasso's inspirational quotes

This is the forum for learning from published materials. Please post informations about books/articles/link to useful web pages etc goes here.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N

Picasso's inspirational quotes

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:35 pm

I have gathered some of these quotes of Picasso from surfing the net which you may find interesting and relevant to the vision we have for CNP.

His observations about kids' capabilities are so true and painful. It hurts to see those fine imaginations of our own kids making way for remembering math tables
and byhearting poems of 'great poets' and vomiting them later in front of the teacher.

His quote on self copy is a revelation for me which I am sure will influence my own image making in years to come.

Anyway, here it goes. Hope you will find these quotes useful.

Pablo Picasso's quotes

There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.

What might be taken for a precocious genius is the genius of childhood. When the child grows up, it disappears without a trace. It may happen that this boy will become a real painter some day, or even a great painter. But then he will have to begin everything again, from zero.

It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child.

Success is dangerous. One begins to copy oneself, and to copy oneself is more dangerous than to copy others. It leads to sterility.

To copy others is necessary, but to copy oneself is pathetic.

We all know that art is not the truth, art is a lie that makes us realize the truth.

Everything you can imagine is real.

To draw you must close your eyes and sing.

I paint objects as I think them, not as I see them.

The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls.

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.

Bad artists copy. Good artists steal.

My mother said to me, 'If you are a soldier, you will become a general. If you are a monk, you will become the Pope.' Instead, I was a painter, and became Picasso.

Painting is a blind man's profession. He paints not what he sees, but what he feels, what he tells himself about what he has seen.

When you start with a portrait and search for a pure form, a clear volume, through successive eliminations, you arrive inevitably at the egg. Likewise, starting with the egg and following the same process in reverse, one finishes with the portrait.

Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Re: Picasso's inspirational quotes

Postby AratiRao » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:59 pm

Every sentence is worth a lot of ponderance here, Ganesh.

About children and their inherent genius, about being child always.
The beginner's fresh mind.
On copying oneself - oh yes, that is so true.
On the notions of reality. Of imagination.

On feeling, beyond seeing.

All beautiful and very basic. And so important.

Thank you.
AratiRao

Postby Nilanjan Das » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:54 pm

You know what Ganshi ? One can't follow all these lines by Picasso consciously and by force, the steps of evolution as an artist happens naturally step by step and you suddenly begin to realize the lines written by him to be so true. Now when we make an image do we at all think of 200 steps which are mentioned in a camera rule book ? Now the shutter gets pressed only when experience, perception and IMAGINATION fall in the same plane as that of the film plane :-), like your perspective control, I love the name used by Nikon for these lenses.

By the way, it is this Picasso who started the process of paying commissions to the galleries after getting refused for years. This was really innovative, the art world had not heard it before :-). Am sure he did not ever think that it would come to paying even up to 80% or more as it is happening now, lol. On an interesting note, BBC travels with it's winning images to several countries and sells them through galleries ( I think my images did not get sold or BBC forgot to tell me if they were sold ). They ask you if you agree to their clause that 95% of the proceedings will go to Natural History Museum and 5% which belongs to the artist will be lost in transit. :-).

When I say it's torn clothes, working as a part timer in a restaurant and then begging all the galleries from A to Z in the streets of Europe as a career plan, you roll on the floor laughing, well let's see if the old age home thing works or not. lol

You know what's the most difficult art ? Even if we are a little unsure of what we have created, but still to find out a buyer and then make the buyer believe that this is a master piece :-). I showed a few images of CNP picks to a curator ( person known to a circle as evaluator of art ) of a gallery in Kolkata, she saw all, I could make out everything tried by us was falling beyond her syllabus and finally when she said the images are good but failing to extract the right mood, I said don't worry for that we are working on a very strong commission table. :-). I intentionally said that in front of a lot of people very loudly, who the hell are these people to define for us what the f... art is. I know you must be frowning seeing the f word, but plz let it stay....it has the same emotion like the images we create by defying all the rules....

One who figures out a way to sell his creation is an artist..... period man !!!! The fight is not in establishing what qualifies to be art, the fight is with the cat which is shrewdly licking it's paws and waiting for the old millionaire lady to die :-). Old Age Home man.....

I still believe that selling art is the only way to bring your thoughts and expressions in front of the world, later surely most artists follow the rules of monotony to earn and earn, but initially it is never for the money. Sadly, unless our art is sold, it never earns respect, it is mostly seen as FREE ART, of no value at all, with it dies your valuable thoughts, with it dies your valuable and unique expressions and unique ways of creations. Once it is created every one knows it will be copied, modified to look different and what not. How many unique images can one make in a life man ? Tell me if the number ever crosses 2 or 3.....Every artist sits with at the most 5 signature images in a life time and rest copies and imagine all those going down as FREE ART.....Makes me angry Ganesh. Will one remember that guy Grus's horrifying image ? But we will remember it sold for 4.3 million dollars.....and hence we start justifying there must be something that we are not understanding in that art, may be the image or may be the printing technique, am sure our images could be printed like that too perhaps....am just guessing the buyer says, hey I did not buy the print due to the image or the mood or the expression, I spent millions cos it took a lot to make that kind of a print. More than the image, the creator wrote more about how the print was made......One day it might come down to how the white canvas was hand crafted and will be sold for thousands of dollars to us to print an image which will be evaluated as $ 10,000 for the canvas+ $ 1000 for the print + $10 for the artist's thoughts......

LONG LIVE ART man LONG LIVE ART !!!!!!
Nilanjan Das

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:45 pm

Don't get emotional Nilanjan :) let us create art which we ourselves agree it is. Who cares what others think..

We all know selling is a different skill set :)
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby Nilanjan Das » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:40 pm

Love u re Ganshi, what a journey it has been, my art and my faith can never be complete with out u in my life man........such a struggle it has been...
Nilanjan Das

Postby vjrithwik » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:41 am

to add to this.

I quote 2 lines from Michael Jacksons song

"Some men see things as they are and ask why
But I dream things that never were and ask why not"

very nice thread
vjrithwik

Return to Forum for sharing learnings/information from Books/Net.