Choosy Mind

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

Choosy Mind

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:22 pm

moth_vgd2_small.jpg
moth_vgd2_small.jpg (175.16 KiB) Viewed 4024 times

Our sensory organs are amazingly designed. Very minute change in what is being sensed can have large difference in its impact - be it taste, visual response or hearing related. Last week I had some time experimenting with different light sources to make an image of this above butterfly. The first image above is made using 3 light sources - 2 flash lights (Maglites, one warm and one cold and another built-in camera flash). The butterfly is lit using a warm light, the flower lit using one with cooler white balance and the bottom portion of the flower is lit by built in flash with compensation so that flash light (Maglite) lit parts does not get affected by built-in camera flash.

The second image below is made the same way, only difference is I have used only two light sources - warm flash light and built-in camera flash.

moth_vgd3.jpg
moth_vgd3.jpg (126.76 KiB) Viewed 4026 times

The below image is made similarly but this time I did not use built-in camera flash so the bottom portion of
the flower is little bit darker.

moth_vgd_without_flash.jpg
moth_vgd_without_flash.jpg (114.25 KiB) Viewed 4013 times

This last image below is made using only camera flash.

moth_only_flash.jpg
moth_only_flash.jpg (125.88 KiB) Viewed 4023 times

See the difference in visual impact!! especially between first three. In the first image cooler white balance on the flower subtly emphasizes the butterfly which is missing in the second one. The last image is very uninteresting for my taste buds.

It is amazing how minute difference in lighting can have large visual impact on the images we make. In an unrelated note nature photography is a lots of hardwork. Making a satisfying image may take hours if we are lucky !!
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography