Are we being conservative?

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

Are we being conservative?

Postby Vijay Mohan Raj » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:03 am

I have been seeing the recent spate of posts on CNP and I am the first to admit that the images we started to make are there and most of them clearly indicate a departure from regular mindset, this in itself is a process of thought taking over image making. However I see that we are being very conservative when it comes to rating the images. Agreed that every image may not be new, but then departure from regular is also commendable. This is not reflected in our ratings I feel we have been shy from pressing the higher ratings. I feel if we look at our galleries and the sites when many have won awards clearly our images are close to them but our ratings do not do justice to the image. I feel we should feel free what we need to do as far as the ratings are considered and the time has come to up the ante. I think every image which is a departure from regular mindset should get a pat on the back and then it spurs one to do more, creativity according to me is a process, we need to add fuel to keep it going.
A creative mind is a restless soul...
Vijay Mohan Raj

Re: Are we being conservative?

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:09 pm

Vijay Mohan Raj wrote:I have been seeing the recent spate of posts on CNP and I am the first to admit that the images we started to make are there and most of them clearly indicate a departure from regular mindset, this in itself is a process of thought taking over image making. However I see that we are being very conservative when it comes to rating the images. Agreed that every image may not be new, but then departure from regular is also commendable. This is not reflected in our ratings I feel we have been shy from pressing the higher ratings. I feel if we look at our galleries and the sites when many have won awards clearly our images are close to them but our ratings do not do justice to the image. I feel we should feel free what we need to do as far as the ratings are considered and the time has come to up the ante. I think every image which is a departure from regular mindset should get a pat on the back and then it spurs one to do more, creativity according to me is a process, we need to add fuel to keep it going.

VMR, for some time now I have been thinking the rating scale has got shrinked by about 0.5 points (compared to our initial suggestion). What I personally think should get a rating of 6 is getting rate of about 5.5. As much as rating, I think we all can add a line or two commending those images where clear deviation from the routine work is evident. Of late we are seeing lots of such images. Kudos to the folks to made them. Hope to see more such..
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography