The Learning Continues

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

The Learning Continues

Postby Nilanjan Das » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:15 pm

I am not absolutely certain if this post fits this section of the forum or not, admins might want to advice or remove which ever is more suitable.

Learning to make creative images are not the only lessons we need to focus on all the time. A simple but extremely important aspect had missed my mind, probably due to the fact that I was worried more about the images only. I had tried to make a few landscape images in Kodachadri during the CNP meet and I knew they would not be good, but only after I saw Pramod post his image of the layers of the mountains did I realize that the one's I made were very bad :-). I will not hesitate in saying that my image stood no where compared to Pramod's beautiful creation ( at least in my own eyes ). I immediately decided to delete a couple of such images. More than hiding my inability to pull out a perfect image, I deleted the image thinking that my work has not met the standards of the forum. What I did not realize then was that along with the image, the time spent by the members in commenting on the image were also deleted. I missed this simple truth until a very new member Arati Rao actually sent me a PM asking why did I also delete the efforts of the other members ? I will not hesitate to mention to Arati as well as to other members that now I feel selfish as well as guilty. I thought I owe an apology to every member who saw, commented or pressed like on the image, their effort definitely can not be compared with my inabilities of creating a perfect picture. The picture should have stayed for respecting their efforts and not hiding my inabilities. I wanted to write this note to share my learning, to ask for an apology to all the members as even though the forum gives me the right to delete my own images, I do not have the right to delete their efforts which is so demeaning. Henceforth, I shall never delete any of my images, no matter how much I begin to see faults after I post. We discussed holding hands during the meet, thanks Arati from the bottom of my heart for holding my hands. I am extremely thankful to you for teaching me a simple yet so important lesson in life. Decided to post this in the forum as those very few who too have deleted images in the past or have not thought about this aspect will probably want to respect the value of time and efforts of a fellow member a little more. Deleting an image can lead to many confusions in the mind of those who comment as they might often feel that the image was deleted as one or two comments were somewhat unrestrained unknowingly. No comments are made with an effort to hurt the feelings of the creator, but only made with the intent of opining honestly and stays within the boundaries of the image itself. I felt that it is my responsibility and duty to seek apology from the members without whose efforts my efforts will not take shape. Sorry Guys !!!! The Learning continues......
Nilanjan Das

Re: The Learning Continues

Postby AratiRao » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:46 pm

Very nice of you to take my "chhoTi muuh baDii baat" so graciously, nilanjan-da :)

i was grappling with that very issue, hence sent the PM!

warm regards,
A
AratiRao

Postby Pramod Viswanath » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:06 pm

Dear Nilanjanji,

I don't know what to say now but I will put my best efforts on what I am feeling now.

CNP as a forum is like temple. You learn, you share your thoughts and you confess too! I am now feeling guilty of posting my layers image and being the cause for deletion of some of your creations and confusions, didn't know that the effects would be so much in depth.

All I can saw is - try not to think of Good and Bad w.r.t images that you make. Every image and every photographer who made it has his or her own thoughts behind the image. I presume, going forward you would consider these things by not being too impulsive and take abrupt actions. As I always say, in front of the people and art this forum as a platform CONTAINS, I am toddler. And as always like what Ganesh says, let the Art win and not the individuals :)

We all are learning here and no one is perfect. I cannot and didn't make the images that you have done in Bharatpur or your BBC images, that doesn't mean I must get impulsive. Isn't it?

Regards.
Pramod Viswanath
Frames from wild | My Blog
Our only limitation is imagination !
Pramod Viswanath

Postby Rajkumar » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:18 am

hmmm Nilanjan,

I also saw this pic and your write up on seeing. Disappeared sometime later. Actually I was waiting for it to come up again :)

The thought that comes to my mind is

- Common man is sensitive and aware of his own economic benefit
- A leader is sensitive to the economic benefit of his people
- A budding artist is aware and sensitive to his own emotional needs
- A evolved artist is sensitive and aware of the emotional needs of people and living beings around him

This post shows why you make great images as a evolved artist . Remember talking to you about the Monkey which lost its baby and you did not have the heart to make a image out of its despair. May be the greatest images are the ones we did not make since we were so emotional connected that we did not want to trivialize it . But these impressions form the basis of future images. Been re-reading Susan Santog essays on Photography !!!

Good these things are making me think.
Art is about what is inside rather than what is outside
Rajkumar

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography