A quote that resonated

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

A quote that resonated

Postby AratiRao » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:20 pm

Hi there,
harking back to the excellent conversation we had at the CNP meet about what is the nature of art in photography, i thought this quote sums it up really well.

The object of art is not to reproduce reality, but to create a reality of the same intensity. - Alberto Giacometti

:)a
AratiRao

Re: A quote that resonated

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:11 am

creating reality is an interesting way to put across the purpose.

In a related note,

How much of our creative work remains just creative and nothing else (devoid of meaning even to us as creators) ?
How much of our creative work means something only for us as creators and none to the rest ?
How much of our creative work needs explicit supplemental thoughts in the form of text for others to understand ?
How much of our creative work can instantly stir emotions of everyone remaining true to image speaks thousand words ?

I believe trying to find reasons/answers to questions will help us steer our creative journey further..
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Re: A quote that resonated

Postby nirlep » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:58 pm

'How much of our creative work remains just creative and nothing else (devoid of meaning even to us as creators) ?
How much of our creative work means something only for us as creators and none to the rest ?
How much of our creative work needs explicit supplemental thoughts in the form of text for others to understand ?
How much of our creative work can instantly stir emotions of everyone remaining true to image speaks thousand words ?"

Very interesting posers indeed..my take

I think it all depends how well we understand the reality that we code as a visual. The codes are derived from life and are known to convey particulars of a reality. The more we delve into life around us the more we understand the codes which go into composing or creating a visual. A resonating combination of codes and visual will have a a very wide appeal and will "mean something. Weakly coded visuals will either be parasitic on theme or will not mean anything. By code I mean a symbol, gesture, sign, colour and the like.
I guess it is all about life. We take from it. We understand from it. We express what we take and understand of it...
nirlep

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography