Composition - Leaving the frame

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

Composition - Leaving the frame

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:55 pm

In this thread Arati made an observation about flamingos leaving the frame not working very well with the composition which I too felt when I processed the image.

However, we routinely have habit of "making sure" our subject always entering the frame. I think we are missing out on effective compositions here !! While the flamingos image there was an unplanned composition, here are some which are explicitly composed that way (leaving the frame). To me it gives a subtle mood to the image - the mood of leaving, mood of the return, the mood of i have promises to keep and miles to go.. and other unquantifiable feelings.

egret_in_reeds_3.jpg
Egret
egret_in_reeds_3.jpg (193.89 KiB) Viewed 3854 times

cormo_morning_ex2.jpg
Back Home
cormo_morning_ex2.jpg (240.99 KiB) Viewed 3854 times

egret_take_off.jpg
Take Off
egret_take_off.jpg (386.94 KiB) Viewed 3854 times

Would love to know your thoughts..
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Re: Composition - Leaving the frame

Postby AratiRao » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:42 am

That comment of mine has had me thinking and analyzing my own feelings too... the conclusion i have come to (for me personally) is this: in the above images, Ganesh, the top egret and the cormorant bothered me. The last one, didn't bother me at all! I loved it.

Maybe like this image didnt bother me. Similarly David Lloyd's winning giraffes didnt bother me... so i am wondering if the "half" makes things easier (for me)... in fact a half-creature leaving the frame is easier to my senses than a half entering. i dont know that i can rationalize this sentiment. composition for me is often just a gut instinct.

Would love to hear from the others in the forum too... How do you guys and gals feel?

Best,
A
AratiRao

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography