Art and its Context

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

Art and its Context

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:16 pm

We have been having lots of discussion around art in nature photography. I have also read in the past that understanding of the some of the art work (painting) needs understanding of the context, life, society of the artist among other things. Thats something which is difficult to accept. The question then is how much should I read about biography/history of an artist before I can understand the work of that artist ?! Shouldn't art be timeless ? Shouldn't it seamlessly enter hearts of the viewers ? Or ? For the discussion let us disconnect the work of art from its price in the market.

Your thoughts ?
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Re: Art and its Context

Postby Nilanjan Das » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:43 pm

The problem with art is that it has no guidelines, probably it begins from where all other guidelines end in our social life Ganesh. Art in any form is an expression, an expression of freedom of mind, how can such a freedom have any boundary? If you listen to the African drum beats to grunge music, you will realize how life of these musicians have created an impact for the creation of such music. Art has nothing called SHOULD BE, that is the sole beauty. Perse, the series created by you, people around you connected with the series at different levels, depending on how they know you. Some tried to imagine in their own way, some absolutely failed to derive anything out of it ( from the facebook discussion ), but it's you and only you who connected to it the most, rest can stay in a smooth transition of near and far. But did you care ? You did not, that is the honesty of art, it is for your expressions Ganesh, not about how much someone else can connect to those expressions. I personally want it to stay more like this than creating anything to which the mass can connect to. Then the language spoken by art will be spoken by politicians, thugs and law makers one day and there will be boundaries of should be and should not be all around it. Art is the silent language which can have the biggest impact, we had such an impact during our fight for Independence. Most of the creators in India were born during the oppression, if you read about the military dictatorships in South America, you will see huge number of artists like painters, song writers, poets, writers, thinkers etc were jailed and tortured to death so that their voice does not reach out to the mass. Even so many of the great Generals of war were musicians or writers. This is the reason am reading Jihad, to try and understand the point from where same thoughts separate out to two different forms of expressions. One leads to the bullets and calls for sacrifice ( we may agree or not agree to war, but it has existed from the birth of human beings ), while the other is the silent war. Artists learn to speak this unknown language of expression only through their agony and sufferings. Silence can not have a guideline, it is as simple as when you or me honestly try to connect to those feelings, expressions, sufferings and even happiness, we do not wish to be told how much do we connect. Some images make us madly fall in love with them, some make us so happy which can not be compared to any kind of happiness of the material world, that is the goal of art. How can a person who is surrounded by visions of making himself visible more than art even understand this ? Probably a person like that can try to guide others trying to make himself look important, but the art world has place for such thoughts, such laws, such law makers even. He can shout, or even shoot, I may smilingly die, but at the end of it I would still in capital letters say, WHO THE HELL ARE YOU TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO OR SAY ? Perhaps he will not hear me, or even understand me, but do we care ? Art will move on and hopefully and thankfully these trying to be important people will run away...... Only art has such power....
Nilanjan Das

Postby AratiRao » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:08 pm

Ganesh H Shankar wrote:I have also read in the past that understanding of the some of the art work (painting) needs understanding of the context, life, society of the artist among other things. Thats something which is difficult to accept.

Yes, it is difficult to accept... to me, the opposite is true. Through art, i see the life, context and society. I see the mind of the artist. So truly expressive art to me is eloquent in itself, without me having to necessarily "understand" things around it. To me, art is what interprets the context .... For example, Vermeer's paintings - traced through time, show and allow me an insight into his lifestyle and his clients... his motivations.

Art opens a window of interpretation that is different from the literal "understanding" we get from other sources... it is an expression of how one feels, given one's context... thus never being a copy rather layered upon with emotions... does that make sense?
AratiRao

Postby AratiRao » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:18 am

This topic intrigued me, Ganesh - i began to explore my own thoughts around it deeper.
And then i came across this - related, but slightly different:

Art without a frame - even if brilliant - does it get recognized? Will ordinary people when presented with great talent and art but out of context, cut through the crap and "see" it?

Is context (slightly different connotation in this case) really that important? - An experiment in real life

Slightly long, but do see/ read it, if you are interested. The experiment is interesting, the outcomes even more so.
AratiRao

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography