Art Wolfe : "The Art of the image"

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

Art Wolfe : "The Art of the image"

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:19 pm

Just happen to find this talk by Art Wolfe on Youtube (posted just a month ago). Listen to this talk when you find some free time. I am sure you can relate well to the journey we are on - creative expressions and art. As he says those who just focus on birds and mammals will exhaust their subjects (and probably interest) and move on to different disciplines leaving photography.

It is very reassuring that we are on the right path ! 5 years over, it has been a very fascinating journey. We have created some of the amazing images so far in this journey. I am sure our best images are yet to come !!
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Re: Art Wolfe : "The Art of the image"

Postby Nevil Zaveri » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:33 am

thank you, ganesh.
Nevil Zaveri

Postby Sriharsha Ganjam » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:12 pm

Beautiful video Ganesh! Thanks for sharing.
Sriharsha Ganjam

Postby Samyak » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:00 pm

TFS Ganesh.
Samyak

Postby neelu » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:56 pm

Ganesh, thanks for this link, very inspiring talk there. a phrase from his talk on the video, that started for me a lot of introspection..."to shoot without prejudice". food for thought for sure...
neelu

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:28 pm

Neelu, I think you also had a few more thoughts which you seem to have deleted now (I was hoping to respond to them during my free time - life has become so hectic..)

If I remember it right you were saying the 'moment' should not be lost due to the pressure of creating a signature (?) or something along those lines ?

You are very right Neelu. I think the creation is secondary, with genuine rich experiences of life creation (with some God's gift) happens as by product. Without authentic rich experiences of life our creations will be voiceless and dry.Not sure whether you understand Kannada. If you do please watch this short video by Girish Karnad on Da. Ra. Bendre. His poems are reflections of his rich life (with deep poverty). His creations are so touching, powerful and sincere. He was jailed during freedom struggle (for the poems he wrote), lost his job, lost a few of his kids and all these flowed as poems !! He connected with everyone in the society/neighborhood, be it a snake charmer or a fruit vendor. His poems are nothing but extracts of those rich experiences of life.

Speaking for myself, what bothers me is the fact that my creations are bounded by the life I know, the life I live. I spend 3 hrs commuting, 8 hours in front of computer making a living, then another couple of hours with 'virtual friends' on Facebook counting 'likes' and trying to save the tiger and rest of the endangered species on IUCN Red list before going to bed everyday(!) If thats all is my connection to society, do I have anything authentic to say ? express ? Just wondering, can I be sincere to my creations ? How deep can my creations be ?
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby neelu » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:57 pm

GANESH, i should not hve deleted, just thought id rephrase and reorganise my multitude of thoughts sparked of by the video and come back later..
you caught the essence of it though..
my struggle,as an amateur, n probably the voice of some on this forum,
i experience a tug of war between..... the need to excel,with the tools, technology, gear,technique and an "information overload syndrome", in an effort to learn,on the one hand.. AND JUST FREEZING PURE EMOTION AND SIMPLICITY..while making a frame, pressing the shutter,on the other.
in the process, out in the field, there may be simple moments of nature speaking to you,just need to be written on a "blank slate",
am i missing those out, with "my preconceived visualisations, complexities of shooting techniques,signature styles,etc etc, can these be called"prejudices", albeit with a positive connotation? this thought process sparked off with Art Wolfe , saying in context, "shoot without Prejudice", of course his context was different.
i answer myself..that technique and tools are needed to express the emotion photographically...one without the other are incomplete.
but how much are we depending on one aspect at the cost of the other.?? guess we all have to figure it out for ourselves.
thanks for the video, i had someone translate it and picked up the essence of it ..touching.will have arati run it in more detail for me..
an amusing aside,sharing yourself,and your thoughts,if this is the wonderful art you produce,with time pressures, commitments n urban life, maybe thats the force thats fuelling your passion for this art and the exellence thereof :) :) rationalizing.!! but heres wishing you more time..to create. :) ;) :)
and i had a good laugh at your candid confession of "counting likes"on FB,hahaha, good to know your as human as us, after scaling great heights.
neelu

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:03 am

AND JUST FREEZING PURE EMOTION AND SIMPLICITY..while making a frame, pressing the shutter,on the other.
in the process, out in the field, there may be simple moments of nature speaking to you,just need to be written on a "blank slate",
am i missing those out, with "my preconceived visualisations, complexities of shooting techniques,signature styles,etc etc,...

Agree with you Neelu.. We indeed may be missing at least some of those, because we do a context switch just at the moment for pressing the shutter and think about all those photographic aspects of getting the image right - lots of 'me' playing there in the latter half which may be disconnect us from the moment and diluting both the experience and missed opportunity for authentic expression. Probably we need to ponder over ' "Karmanye Vaadikarasthe ma phaleshu kadaachana"... :) On the other hand it can't be a just mechanical shutter press too. At the end everything seem to boil down to a balancing act in life :)

i answer myself..that technique and tools are needed to express the emotion photographically...one without the other are incomplete.

Agree with you 100%.

As I see it, there are two things, emotions/feelings and then expression of it. I suspect this urban mechanized life is taking a toll on the former and latter becoming mute without the former.
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby Vikram Sathyanathan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:04 pm

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful video Ganesh. There was another by Rodney Lough Jr. who has shared his insights on image making.
Vikram Sathyanathan

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:23 pm

Vikram, please do share useful videos/information. This link explains how to embed Youtube videos.
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby nirlep » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:37 pm

Finally I got the time to see the full video. The best line out of the talk for me was ..to shoot without prejudice...What the talk missed out on is how to deal with subjects of which we don't have prior association...for example he doesn't talk about subjects that leave him intrigued, without answer or association or a pointer. As a lesson in sticking to one's strong points the talk is great but found it wanting in terms of creativity. Just my thoughts.
nirlep

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography