Monochrome vs Colour

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

Monochrome vs Colour

Postby Prashanth Sampagar » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:27 pm

Dear All,

I've been thinking about it since quite sometime now. Earlier I rarely used to process my images in monochrome, later I started obsession with monochrome(thanks to all the inspiring works by CNPians). I tried to shoot just keeping monochrome in my mind, may be due initial craze(read as curiosity). Later realized just by doing this, may be I'm missing other ways of making an image. Now, I just try not to be obsessed with either colour or monochrome. I'm leaving it to my mood on that particular day. Of course trying hard on visualizing before clicking. One more thing which I'm doing is, I try to process the image in both colour as well as monochrome just to be sure I'm not biased with something.

I'm curious whether anyone of you faced any such dilemma. Appreciate if you can share few words on it.

Best Regards,
Prashanth
Prashanth Sampagar

My Insta feed
Prashanth Sampagar

Re: Monochrome vs Colour

Postby nirlep » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:12 pm

Prashanth you have touched upon a very relevant topic. I think we all have faced the dilemma of choosing between B&W or color at some time or the other. The right thing as you have mentioned is not be obsessed with either but to treat each image as per requirement. Color does have a seductive charm and it's easy to be lead astray especially if the photographer is trigger happy with saturation, hues and other controls. Having said this I feel it is more difficult to make good color images than b&w. This is my opinion. I feel so because we live in a world of colors. With the explosion of visual media our senses also might be getting dulled to visual stimulii in color, I'll hazard conjecturing. B&W on the other hand readily presents a view with which we are not familiar. Maybe, just maybe that could be one of the aspects. But there's a lot more to the divide (not sure we can call it a divide) than meets the eye. The best way is to try and see if the final picture echoes what you felt while clicking.
Am sure the masters of the craft Ganesh, RD, Raj, Nevil, Jayesh, Nilanjan would have a lot more to say.
Thanks for starting this stimulating thread.
nirlep

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:51 pm

I remember we discussing B&W vs. Color in the past Prashanth (probably searching the archive might throw some discussion threads). I think it is not about when this works or that works (color/BW in this case). It is about 'what' we want to say through our images. Color or B/W are two different languages of expressions. What is more important is 'what'. If we 'know' what then I think it is easier to decide how. Easier said than done I guess... :)
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby Prashanth Sampagar » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:39 pm

Thank you Nirlepji & Ganeh! I agree with you on your views. I feel I should have been more clear with my question, my concern was more on pre-planning vs spontaneity. I was having a discussion with my friend, and the topic of discussion was about pre-planning, visualization versus spontaneity. By going with certain set of planning aren't we blocking other possibilities of making the image. Is it good to go with completely blank mindset? Appreciate your views on this.

Best regards,
Prashanth
Prashanth Sampagar

My Insta feed
Prashanth Sampagar

Postby nirlep » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:18 am

Our minds are not as black and white that we can programme them to think and work in certain directions only. Even if we pre-visualise or pre-plan a shoot I'm sure opportunities exist for spontaneous takes. It's not always that we shoot with a plan in mind for example when on a trekking trip or simply travelling. Don't we see a deluge of visuals pass by? Obviously we don't ignore them and keep our receptors (cameras) ready for all those surprises.
nirlep

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:40 pm

Prashanth, I think, as Nirlep said there is no clear answer there. However, personally believe the process of image making is about sharing what is inside than what is outside. Only the stimulus to open inside out comes from outside!! Hope that makes some sense...
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby Prashanth Sampagar » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:02 am

Thanks Nirlepji and Ganesh!

@Nirlepji, completely agree with you that we can not program our minds to see something and block others. However I felt(my personal view) whenever I went without much expectation and planning I was able to enjoy more while shooting. This has triggered me to initiate this thread.

@Ganesh,
"the process of image making is about sharing what is inside than what is outside. Only the stimulus to open inside out comes from outside!!".

You have expressed all your experience in just few words. I can see that it has lot of hidden meaning in it. One has to experience it to understand what these words mean and may be I'm just in the first step of it. I think I have to ask more and more questions to myself why I'm making images.

Best Regards,
Prashanth
Prashanth Sampagar

My Insta feed
Prashanth Sampagar

Postby Adithya Biloor » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:19 pm

Hi,

One day I was coming back home from a non-nature shoot. I was trying to shoot the process of sugar cane cutting and on the way I was only thinking of how to improve it, how to talk with the workers etc. Suddenly I saw a flock of birds sitting on the dry bamboo sticks. I was immediately attracted by the beauty of the scene. It was a beautiful evening on a paddy field. As I had camera in my hand I decided to shoot some pictures. I was not at all prepared/ intended to shoot that day. I was just attracted by the scene and wanted to make some images. I always wanted to open my mind when I go out for shooting but it was not easy. That day I was happy because since I never wanted to shoot and the opportunity came suddenly I thought I can shoot without any preconceived thoughts. But as I started shooting I realised that I am not shooting freely but my earlier experiences and thoughts are guiding me. I was trying to shoot high key images , trying to make some graphical images, thinking of a title, When I saw two birds I titled it couple, when another bird sat near I called it alone, my mind started doing all kinds of circus. I was never able to shoot freely.

This is very important for me because I think photography can be a form of meditation where one can release himself from all his maladies related to mind and concentrate only on present. Probably photography is the only form of art where spontaneity can be the essence of art. I have seen people practicing it ( http://miksang.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - well, if I have understood what they are saying ;) )

Even when a single photo looks very spontaneous when we see a collection of photos of the same photographer we can find a similarity in all photos. Two photographers I admire a lot Nirlep and nirvair shoot freely, their photos look very spontaneous. However when I see Nirlep's photos I see a nature- human issues in most of his photos. All the images of Dhaka diaries of Nirvair contain a hint of hidden melancholy.
I think this is inevitable and necessary as we are never free from our socio- cultural boundaries.

For me visualization of a final picture and then shooting and shooting spontaneously are two different approaches for photography. In the former approach I try to release my mind's stress and in the latter my heart's stress.
Last edited by Adithya Biloor on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Adithya Biloor
www.lensandtales.com
Adithya Biloor

Location: Biloor, Nittor -p,Hosanagar-Tq, Shivamogga -Dis, Karnataka,India

Postby Rajkumar » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:00 am

I suffer from some of these maladies
- thinking of titles as I am shooting. even thinking of posting sometimes
- I once had a new lens and was so involved with using it. my mind was occupied with that
only sometimes I have let the experience happen to me. let the situation flow through me and the camera and picturing taking is secondary . so my most satisfying experience is when I was thinking about photography the least
Art is about what is inside rather than what is outside
Rajkumar

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography