Interview with Raviprakash SS, BBC winner on JLR Explore

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

Interview with Raviprakash SS, BBC winner on JLR Explore

Postby Vijay Mohan Raj » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:26 pm

Hi All,

Find out what went into making of the winning image by Raviprakash SS and also the philosophy and art of making great images with simple equipment. Creative visions at its best. CNP is fairly consitent when it comes to churning out winners in BBC.
http://jlrexplore.com/explore/interview ... 4-winner-2
A creative mind is a restless soul...
Vijay Mohan Raj

Re: Interview with Raviprakash SS, BBC winner on JLR Explore

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:50 am

Nice read there VMR and Ravi!

Friends, reflecting back on Ravi's comment on CNP helping with his visions, I would like to highlight couple of points about CNP -

No pre-screening policy

Not sure whether you as a member of CNP have noticed the important policy that we have - no pre-screening. There are some good photo forums which showcase only the 'best'! Who decides what is best? The moderators of the forum who pre-screen the posted images and allow only those that they think are worthy of showing. We in CNP decided early on that pre-screening is a flawed approach. Over the years forum will lose freshness and will not promote or encourage every individuals' unique perspectives/visions. We made a conscious decision to err on letting every image which a photographer want to share than forcing we moderators' visions. If everyone agrees with every posted image here in CNP then it is an indication that we have stopped growing as a forum!

There is a negative side to it - we hear some good jokes like - if you have made bad/blurred accidental images post it on CNP, the 'good' sharp images can be posted in other photo forums. :)
We have made conscious decision to live with such criticisms!! In nature photography it takes years to cross those nice background beautiful sharp portraits stage in life. If one continues photography for long and courageous to question his/her growth as a photographer then opinions will change! When we want to do our photography and not Art Wolfe's or Frans Lanting's photography things will get more challenging and interesting!

Where are we now?

6 years have passed. I just noticed the image ID of the latest posted image being 10348!! Yes, our members have shared over 10,000 images during last 6 years. It is a commendable job considering the emphasis we have on creativity and art. Where we are now on this journey? What else can be do? Should we? What next? Several questions.. While personally I see some stagnation in my own visions as photographer I strongly believe the foundation of the forum with emphasis on creativity and art is rock solid. Creativity and art will not end. We will see new visions, forever. I am very excited to see newer visions of the members. We need to be courageous to take meaningless critiques about meaninglessness of our images!

Once in a while I browse different nature forums/photographers' personal websites having some emphasis on art and creativity. I now see lots of images which we considered creative 3-4 years back. We don't consider them creative any more as a forum since we are used to seeing them. Friends, I think we are ahead and setting benchmarks. Today's visions of ours will be considered very creative a few years from now. Be brave and show us your visions, today!!
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby Raviprakash S S » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:09 pm

Thank you VMR & Ganesh.

Looking forward to see more wonderful creations in CNP and subsequently in WPY Gallery!
Cheers,
Raviprakash.S.S
http://www.allEYES.in
Raviprakash S S

Postby Shankar Kiragi » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:49 am

Ravi and VMR,

Good read indeed. We are proud on Ravi's work and dedication. Ravi does lot of macro photography but he rarely use tripod but uses lot of visualizations :)
CNP has become bench mark and platform in fresh thoughts and creativity. This is not just in India but internationally. It's one of a kind forum around the world.

I am glad we are not deviating from our stand or vision being creating. Bringing in artist or creativity in each one of us without being influenced.

I wish more CNP members reach greater heights and recognitions in the international photography circuits.
Cheers, Shankar Kiragi
Shankar Kiragi

Postby Prashanth Sampagar » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:07 pm

Its a great achievement Ravi! Thanks VMR for sharing it here.

I think CNP has been a great platform for learning the art of creative nature photography. Best part of it being the constructive critiques from the members. From my personal point of view(though I'm not sure where I stand now as a photographer) CNP has saved many years of my life in making only sharp images. Another important thing about CNP is you can post your experiments here and the you'll get constructive criticism. No one will laugh at your work.

I'm glad CNP was there when I needed it. I wish it grows the same way with even newer and fresher creations.

Best Regards,
Prashanth
Prashanth Sampagar

My Insta feed
Prashanth Sampagar

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography