Acquired Taste

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

Acquired Taste

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:21 pm

plant_bird.jpg
plant_bird.jpg (408.49 KiB) Viewed 6198 times

Like taste of salt, some of the tastes in photographic compositions I think are highly acquired! Over time we have been drilled to like some compositions and reject others. Often we may not like cropped wings, birds flying out, invisible heads, subject leaving the frame etc etc..
However, I think there is a subtle pleasing beauty and a pleasing pain in some of those violations, there is a hidden novelty in some of those irritations! Some messages are better conveyed that way too. For example cropping the head of the other Neelghai in this image is very intentional. That way the winner gets more visual attention. Similarly in this image I kind of felt cropped bird supports the other flying one better.

Similarly some variations of compositions here (slight variations related to posture of the head of the out of focus bird vs. its relative position in the frame with respect to twigs in the foreground, please ignore the color variations). My choice of the composition in this case is the one above.

Your thoughts are welcome!

plant_bird_1.jpg
plant_bird_1.jpg (305.56 KiB) Viewed 6198 times

Probably a preferred composition during initial few years of photography.

plant_bird_2.jpg
plant_bird_2.jpg (314.28 KiB) Viewed 6198 times

This one comes later after few more years :)
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography