Talking about moden art !

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

Talking about moden art !

Postby Shivakumar L Narayan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:48 am

I came across this video talking about "modern art" and found it interesting to share with you folks

https://www.facebook.com/graffiti.kings ... 711164938/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shiv | +91 97390 36563 | www.shivakumar.net | twitter | facebook | instagram | youtube
Shivakumar L Narayan

Re: Talking about moden art !

Postby dinesh.ramarao » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:06 am

- RD
dinesh.ramarao

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:50 pm

While personally I believe in some of those views, I don't want to attach lots of significance to such advocacies. Just because someone buys 5 ton stone for $M does not mean that everyone endorses that buyer's views. It is important we protect creative freedom of artists. The viewers I believe are more informed than what is assumed here. We don't want to be told what to like and what not to. We need knowledge,confidence and courage in arriving at what we think is art, sincerely going by what our heart feels, not what someone likes us to like or think. Be it the so called 'cubism' by Picasso or 'paint throwing' by Jackson Pollock. I may like or dislike Jackson Pollock's work, it is upto my heart to decide. I don't want to be told to like/dislike Pollock's work. I personally don't want to be influenced by others views on it. For others too, why should it matter what I like?! Sincerity of the artist and viewers needs equal emphasis in such discussions. Tolstoy in his book What is Art? emphasised 3 pillars of the art - sincerity of the artist, novelty of the work and conveying emotions/feelings. The last one did not go well with next generation artists. Probably creative freedom took precedence over the last restriction. Personally I believe emotions/feelings are integral to a work of art, though others might disagree in this point-of-view world, which is fine. That said, sincerity of the artist can't be compromised at all.

Bottom line, creative freedom of artists needs protection. True artist create a work of art for herself, not for others. It is a basic need and an element of fundamental self expression. For the viewers, some art called good art will stay in their mind, and some, the bad ones will be forgotten. Some of those bad ones may show up in galleries, may be bought for $M but galleries don't decide what art is, we do!

Just my 2c..
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby Shivakumar L Narayan » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:58 pm

Ganesh H Shankar wrote:Personally I believe emotions/feelings are integral to a work of art

I totally support and standby this phrase Ganesh. Somehow the whole concept of art is either under-rated or over-rated in different context but the true art is something which touches the viewer's feelings. And i just totally live by that statement. Thanks for putting down your words and thoughts regarding this.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shiv | +91 97390 36563 | www.shivakumar.net | twitter | facebook | instagram | youtube
Shivakumar L Narayan

Postby Rajkumar » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:11 am

http://www.ashidakim.com/zenkoans/19thefirstprinciple.html

Point being " purity of purpose " is the ultimate guide to art. Economic activity is a corruption.
Art is about what is inside rather than what is outside
Rajkumar

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography