Greatest Photographs

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

Greatest Photographs

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:02 pm

If you search google for greatest photographs or top 10 photos what do you expect to see?

Several links will pop up. "Top 10", "Top 100", "Top 50" etc. Interestingly most of them in the those "top n photographs" list contain human atrocities or themes around death.

The question is why only images around death are perceived as greatest? take top slots? Why images of nature often don't get a mention?

Your thoughts? If your search shows different results please let me know your search keywords!!
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Re: Greatest Photographs

Postby Ghanshyam Savani » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:19 pm

Human history is the history of neurosis of wars....! There have probably been between 10,000 and 250,000 wars in human history. Humanity has suffered a lot from these wars: deaths, misery, fears, insecurities, agony, sorrow, unhappiness, loneliness, starvation, poverty, anger, hatred, enmity, revenge, repentance, mourning, hostility, destruction, tears.......tears and tears.......! All this has gone to the deepest core of human psyche....very deep......has occupied the human minds...... all these reflect in our behaviours, languages, education, cultures and arts........! This has taken the form of expression and they reflect in our paintings, music, sculptures, photography.........! All these easily take the hold of our attention as their roots rest in our minds- the whole history of wars......and deaths...........!

Human history is not the history of peace, tranquillity, serenity, love, solitude, happiness, cheerfulness, blissfulness, friendliness, godliness........! Nature, for monotonous and routine minds, is not primary, but it is subsidiary and secondary...! Routine minds are not incline to lyrical objectiveness of art.....they are inclined towards subjectivity that is deeply rooted in their beings....! Our minds are sensational and thrilling...we are not meditative, nor we are peaceful....nor we are unprejudiced......we are conditioned......we are borrowed.....we are not ourselves.....we are insulted beings....suffering......miserable......we are burdened with our past that is full of deaths......!!! Modern art, in most of the cases, is the catharsis of inner subjectivity......and that is why I personally perceive that most of them in the those "top n photographs" list contain human atrocities or themes around death.

Nature photography I perceive is a higher form of lyrical objectivity....like classical music.....with different vibes, nuances and feelings.....that tell a story of Light and Insight.........narrating the eternal Existence!

Sir, thank you very much for putting before us your marvellous observations that lead us together towards a lyrical journey of mysteries in nature photography......!

Warm regards......
Ghanshyam Savani

Postby Rajkumar » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:34 pm

Sorry but it prompted me with one of my ramblings but here goes......

How do we know there is life …because of death ? Is life just absence of death …………Is that not the greatest mystery in nature. ……Why is death a mystery --- nobody told us about the experience and we cannot experience it in our life time
Death is the definition of life. It is more tangible and easier to process. If something dies then by definition it was a living thing. Life or living thing is so hard to describe. Death is the more tangible concept
In another direction happiness is avoidance of loss. Death is the greatest loss we are avoiding every minute, every day. So seeing death makes us aware what we have escaped . That is one mystery we do not want to experience ?
So is it the most primordial experience hat touches us the most ?
Art is about what is inside rather than what is outside
Rajkumar

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:54 am

And the one we fear about most? the one we don't want to hear about? the one we don't want it for us for sure?
So seeing death makes us aware what we have escaped, till now?
Or is it nature, coded as a survival and evolution? Still wondering...

I am sure God (Nature) knows!
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby Ghanshyam Savani » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:20 pm

Death is always close by. It is almost like your shadow. You may be aware, you may not be aware, but it follows you from the first moment of your life to the very last moment. Death is a process just as life is a process, and they are almost together, like two wheels of a bullock cart. Life cannot exist without death; neither can death exist without life.

Death is a constant reminder that, “I can come any moment. Be prepared.” And what is the preparation? The preparation is: live life so totally, so intensely, be so aflame with it that when death comes there is no complaint, there is no grudge. You are absolutely ready because you have lived life so totally, you have known all its mysteries — there is no point in living anymore. Death has come exactly at the right time, when you may have thought to die yourself. I call that death perfect which comes at the moment when you yourself may have thought, “It is enough.”

Osho, Sat Chit Anand, Talk #16
Ghanshyam Savani

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography