Pigeon Impression - Reprocessed

We often suggest changes to posted images. If we want to take some time to illustrate the changes then users can post and discuss the the changed image here. PLEASE TAKE CONSENT FROM THE POSTER BEFORE YOU DOWNLOAD/EDIT OtHERS' IMAGES. Please keep files sizes small - preferablly less than 650pixels on longer side.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Raviprakash S S, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

Pigeon Impression - Reprocessed

Postby Madhav Jois » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:58 pm

This is in conjunction with Pigeon - An Impression, i have tried to process as suggested by Ganesh.

Original file [Un processed]:

No Vignetting:

High key:

@Ganesh, I dont know if this is what you had in mind! Let me know your thoughts.
Best Regards,
Madhav
My Gallery
Madhav Jois
Site Admin

Re: Pigeon Impression - Reprocessed

Postby Rajkumar » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:56 am

Madhav the high key works the best for me. I would only darken the feather a wee bit
Art is about what is inside rather than what is outside
Rajkumar

Postby Madhav Jois » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:34 am

Thanks Raj! I will try that.
Best Regards,
Madhav
My Gallery
Madhav Jois
Site Admin

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:40 pm

[youtube_no_video]qROfc8FkbVk[/youtube_no_video]

memory.jpg
memory.jpg (316.22 KiB) Viewed 16698 times

Madhav, processing may depend on what you want to convey. I would process it this way (your mileage may vary) and listen to music like this. Hope it plays (thanks to this on the youtube).
I think it is an intense exercise, we need to soak ourselves fully and process our images. The resulting image then is our heart poured as pixels. The beauty of nature photography used for conveying emotions is abstraction is an integral part of it.

Check this link to know how to embed youtube music within CNP(does not seem to play on iPad, seem to work on desktops).
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby manishvaidya » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:14 pm

very interesting conversation indeed. processing feelings according to me is also challenging because of the way people would perceive the same image and its tones and composition.
manishvaidya

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:05 pm

Yes Manish, there is always some amount of subjectivity in how these abstract images are perceived. However, the point I wanted to make is post processing images which we intend to be work of art is not a scientific exercise. For example, a B&W purist may just focus on tonal spread, structure and process it this way.

technical.jpg
technical.jpg (157.27 KiB) Viewed 16598 times

Technically perfect, it may not touch my senses. About 6-7 years back I would hate grain, I would hate soft images but not now. I then spent lots of money on top class glasses and software to get perfectly sharp images and softwares like Neat Image to remove last traces of grain. During last few years I spent lots of money on lenses (tilt-shifts/adapters etc) and software to make soft, blurred, grainy images! Emotional precision (which of course is subjective) now takes precedence over technical accuracy. No doubt we need to master the medium but we should not become slaves of the medium. Medium is there just to convey the message, message is more important than the medium. Often in the world of photography we have a tendency to celebrate the medium forgetting the message. Painters on the other hand don't talk much about brushes and paints !!
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby Madhav Jois » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:42 pm

Thank you Ganesh for sharing your thoughts with illustration. Its a great learning for us. Most of the time while processing an image, I listen to music. I have only few songs, hence I play them over and over. All most all the songs (including instrumental) bring about soothing/relaxed feeling. If image needs to convey something not good, will background music effect my PP? How much do we respond to BG music knowingly or unknowingly?

Coming back to this image, I wanted to portray the presence of Pigeon. In Ganesh's version I get a feeling that its gone leaving only a sign (please correct me if am wrong). The reason may be due to the overall tonality of the image am not sure. I dont know if the below image conveys what I felt, but here it is (high key image with slighter deeper blacks):

Best Regards,
Madhav
My Gallery
Madhav Jois
Site Admin

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:54 am

If image needs to convey something not good, will background music effect my PP?

I think so! I would prefer processing an image with a right music in background instead of listening to a music while processing - just to clarify the intent.
That said, we may not need background music too.

How much do we respond to BG music knowingly or unknowingly?

Not sure, it affects me a lot though.

Coming back to this image, I wanted to portray the presence of Pigeon.

We see what we want to see. What we want to see depends probably on how we were coded (genes) when we were born, our upbringings, our value system, how often we were beaten in life and so on.

In Ganesh's version I get a feeling that its gone leaving only a sign (please correct me if am wrong). The reason may be due to the overall tonality of the image am not sure.

Here you have hit the nail on the head!!

I get a feeling that its gone leaving only a sign.

You are exactly right.

The reason may be due to the overall tonality of the image am not sure.

This has to be the main topic of discussion when we take photography as an art - understand the reason and application of those. The same image can generate opposite mood based on how we map different tonal ranges.

Feeling is not enough, expression of it so that others relate to it (at least to some extent) is central to it. Mapping the feelings to spectrum of variables - colors, tonal ranges, structure (sharpness, blur, grain), postures and several other parameters (which we probably don't know) is the key!! I think this is a life long learning for all of us. Further, if we want to make prints then it is a different skill!!

I wanted to portray the presence of Pigeon... I don't know if the below image conveys what I felt, but here it is (high key image with slighter deeper blacks):

Of course there no right or wrong here, it is all subjective!!
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby manishvaidya » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:51 am

Ganesh H Shankar wrote:
Technically perfect, it may not touch my senses.No doubt we need to master the medium but we should not become slaves of the medium. Medium is there just to convey the message, message is more important than the medium. Often in the world of photography we have a tendency to celebrate the medium forgetting the message. Painters on the other hand don't talk much about brushes and paints !!

Completely agree with your thoughts Ganesh sir.
manishvaidya

Postby Rajkumar » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:26 am

Thanks Ganesh for sharing freely. Completely agree.
Some thoughts from Dyanitha Singh as she talked about photography

- With all those cameras around every one is a photographer today
- Learning photography taking pictures is like learning words and grammar
- Question is how do you want to use those words in combination to make poetry
- Ultimately what are you trying to convey

to take this thought further will all the ease and prevalence of photography today is the era of that one single brilliant picture fading.

Is it the era of creating a context with a body of work . ( May be that was always the idea ! but very much more so now. )
Art is about what is inside rather than what is outside
Rajkumar

Return to Illustration Forum