CNP Images of the year 2010 !

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

CNP Images of the year 2010 !

Postby CNP Staff » Sun May 30, 2010 9:23 am

Dear Friends,

We have completed 2 years on 22nd of May ! Thanks for your support !

It is time for us select this year's "CNP Images of the year". It was a very very difficult task for us. We would like to
share the process we adopted in selecting the first 3 images here.

1. We selected all IOM ("Image of the months") from "CNP Picks" gallery till around 10th of May and also considered a few other images
posted during last one year which remains in the main critique gallery. This was a very good collection to start with.

2. Next we narrowed down the list to about 13 images based on the user ratings on those images and based on our own high level
qualitative quick decisions. You may see them as scrolling thumbnails on the left side of the home page.

3. In the third round CNP Staff went in for a poll on these 13 images. The main criteria that we used for casting our votes were - creativity (50% weight), emotional impact (25%) and technical merit (25%). Each of us had 6 votes to cast to pick our choices.

4. A pattern emerged (!) from this and about 5 images took top spots though separation between them were a very little..

5. The next round was very tough. Each of us picked our top 3 images from the list of 5 images and gave qualitative reasons on why we
think these images deserve top 3 slots. If you are curious what those qualitative discussions were here are couple of them (removed image references) -

Creativity in xyz's image stands out easily from the crowd. The vision and the portray is very different. For me the creativity part in the next two images is almost the same. Abc has used the play of light very well and ABCD has used the graphics of the grass and the harsh lighting conditions very well. So both score equal on the creativity part. The emotional impact for me is more in the first two images compared to the last one. The first one is obviously because of its presentation and the second one is for its graphic feel and very well positioning of the bird.

another one...

From creativity perspective I rate the abc's image most since that is not the perspective nature offered him. He has "created" a stunning non-obvious perspective from an ordinary subject which has strong graphic and emotional impact. Composition is very unique too. xyz's attempt at creatively managing the light slightly scores over XYZ's image in my view.

6. We considered all such views and came to a final conclusion.

And the winners are -

1. rorschach's mindscape by Nevil Zaveri

2.jpg
2.jpg (39.39 KiB) Viewed 26324 times

gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1&image_id=2289

2. Milky way by Sriharsha Ganjam

11.jpg
11.jpg (38.46 KiB) Viewed 26324 times

gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1&image_id=2671

3. Mist & Wolf by Dr. Nilanjan Das

3.jpg
3.jpg (32.74 KiB) Viewed 26324 times

gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1&image_id=2764

A small momento will reach you soon. While the momento is very small (CNP is a non-commercial free platform) we have
set ourselves a very rigorous quality criteria. We think this is an incredible achievement by you.

Finally,

Hearty congratulations to Nevil, Harsha and Dr Nilanjan from CNP Staff.

Thanks everyone for participation in CNP. Hope CNP is helping you in some way to think differently and share your vision.

Thanks again..
Regards,
CNP Staff
CNP Staff

Re: CNP Images of the year 2010 !

Postby sandeep somasekharan » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:20 am

Happy birthday, CNP!
THough I have not been a regular poster, have been a very regular viewer. Well, the photos here have got the artistically challeneged "me" thinking and seeing things in a way never before, and I take this opportunity to thank you all for that.
sandeep somasekharan

Postby dinesh.ramarao » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:17 am

Congratulations to winners and CNP Staff for selecting them.

best regards,
-RD
- RD
dinesh.ramarao

Postby Sriharsha Ganjam » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:08 pm

My thanks to the CNP team for opening up a new dimension in photography. And wishes on the 2nd anniversary. Hope to see more ground breaking visual in the future :)
Sriharsha Ganjam

Postby ramesh_adkoli » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:12 pm

Great images and Great choices. Congrats to the winners and happy birthday to CNP.
ramesh_adkoli

Postby Nilanjan Das » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:58 pm

Happy Birthday CNP and many thanks :) to everyone.
Nilanjan Das

Postby jayesh joshi » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:43 pm

Happy Birthday CNP & Heartly congratulations to Winners !
jayesh joshi

Postby rpradyumna » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:14 pm

Belated happy b'day CNP. Congrats to all the winners.
rpradyumna

Postby Nevil Zaveri » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:01 pm

belated happy b'day CNP.

thanks all the viewer and esp. all the critiques for helping me fine-tune my images. CNP's constructive critics is the strength and short-cut to learning 'making of good images'. my congrates to all the nominees and all those great images that always inspires me knowingly or unknowingly.

regards.
Nevil Zaveri

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography