This is amazing! A Work of Art!!

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

This is amazing! A Work of Art!!

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:26 pm

We had debated about the question "What is Art?" so many times during last decade here in CNP. However, this concept of art is very novel to me. I am amazed by this! The art work just got sold for $18,000, not much compared to other 'works of art'. The most interesting thing about this work of art is, guess what,

IT DOES NOT EXIST!!

I appears that the lucky buyer receives a "certificate of authenticity" and instructions to "display" the invisible sculpture as per the report below.

Here is a press report.

More here:

Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Re: This is amazing! A Work of Art!!

Postby Nevil Zaveri » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:12 am

now, the question 'what is art?' itself seems meaningless!
Nevil Zaveri

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:10 pm

Yes, Nevil. So is the word "art" I guess.

I also think if we separate the aspect of "making a living" by an artist (by that I mean price tag on the so called 'art' in general) we are more open to debate. Even in this case, if we keep aside $18,000 we probably are more open to discussions about that concept. Things get diluted if we mix an artists survival needs with the work of art itself. Personally, I would love to accept dimly lit empty room painted deep blue with a single chair to sit peacefully in the middle as a work of art!
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby Adithya Biloor » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:46 pm

At times I feel these artists live in their spheres created by themselves. When 100 years ago artists started questioning established set of notions about art, the questions were more fierce and had a deeper interest.

After 100 years these creations look like feeble attempts to create art and thereby grab the attention.
I can't figure out the significance of that art except considering it as an attempt to create something. Especially when the artwork is associated with the price at which is sold and it is the headline.

Probably we are also living in our own spheres, who knows :| :| Maybe the artist is trying to convey something and it is lost in the price details.

Adithya
Regards,
Adithya Biloor
www.lensandtales.com
Adithya Biloor

Location: Biloor, Nittor -p,Hosanagar-Tq, Shivamogga -Dis, Karnataka,India

Postby Prashanth Sampagar » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:45 pm

The world we live in, we measure everything with the price tag attached to it, be it a branded cloth or camera or an art work. Worse of all, we use the same scale everywhere.

"Art is not free" and "Value of an art" are probably very interesting topics. "Art is not free", agreed, but how to evaluate it is the question. Can the joy the artist experienced while creating the art can it be matched by dollars? If Art is an expression of the artist, can the money ever bring that joy in the artist?

I just want to share my experience with you all. Around 10 years ago, I visited Van Gough's museum in Paris. I wanted to make the best use of few euros I paid for the entry fee. So i just wanted to "see" (tick that from my to do list) all the paintings that were on display. My focus was completely on utilising the entry fee rather than viewing his work. And I was not alone, there were several others who were doing the same. I visited few other museums as well with the same mindset. I remember even laughing at someone who was sitting in front of a painting for hours. But probably now I would've spent bit more time and would've definitely tried to understand the paintings a bit more. Whether the paintings would've looked more interesting or not is a different story altogether but the focus would've been totally different.

BTW, related to that painting, below are his words.

The vacuum is nothing more than a space full of energy, and even if we empty it and there is nothing left, according to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, that 'nothing' has a weight. Therefore, it has energy that is condensed and transformed into particles, that is, into us.—S. Garau

I echo Adithya's words.

Maybe the artist is trying to convey something and it is lost in the price details.

Best regards,
Prashanth
Prashanth Sampagar

My Insta feed
Prashanth Sampagar

Postby Anders Wahlund » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:47 am

Here is another one, on the kind of same theme.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jens-haani ... t-denmark/

May the art is not art as a handcraft or an originally idea, but only the art to be seen in a big mass of other artists.
Anders Wahlund

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography