Tales of a tangled mind - Series

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

Tales of a tangled mind - Series

Postby Adithya Biloor » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:35 pm

Dear friends,

I am posting some more images of the series "tales of a tangled mind ".
Please have a look and comment.
Attachments
_DSC5228T_Shrinken_mind.jpg
_DSC5228T_Shrinken_mind.jpg (521.49 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
_DSC6106_duckduck_go_away.jpg
_DSC6106_duckduck_go_away.jpg (412.04 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
_DSC2446_deranged_tired.jpg
_DSC2446_deranged_tired.jpg (642.46 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
_DSC5819_congregestion_of-bad-thoughts_copy.jpg
_DSC5819_congregestion_of-bad-thoughts_copy.jpg (765.81 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
_DSC7585_Two_sides_of_the_brain.jpg
_DSC7585_Two_sides_of_the_brain.jpg (490.6 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
_DSC6232_cornered.jpg
_DSC6232_cornered.jpg (378.81 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
_DSC5312-Invaded_by_my_own_thoughts.jpg
_DSC5312-Invaded_by_my_own_thoughts.jpg (423.1 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
_DSC5361_In_my_own_shackles.jpg
_DSC5361_In_my_own_shackles.jpg (616.29 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
_DSC5010 Cornered _and__Surrounded.jpg
_DSC5010 Cornered _and__Surrounded.jpg (253.61 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
_DSC7587_That_mind_behind.jpg
_DSC7587_That_mind_behind.jpg (467.55 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
_DSC5195_unreachable_2.jpg
_DSC5195_unreachable_2.jpg (611.49 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
_DSC5180_far_away_unreachable.jpg
_DSC5180_far_away_unreachable.jpg (431.23 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
_DSC6651_the_predator_mind.jpg
_DSC6651_the_predator_mind.jpg (736.77 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
_DSC5101_Cornered.jpg
_DSC5101_Cornered.jpg (146.2 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
_DSC6971_Behind_the_black_thoughts.jpg
_DSC6971_Behind_the_black_thoughts.jpg (398.76 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
_DSC7607_discussions_within.jpg
_DSC7607_discussions_within.jpg (338.67 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
_DSC5119_there_are_still_some_colrs_left_.jpg
_DSC5119_there_are_still_some_colrs_left_.jpg (226.77 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
Regards,
Adithya Biloor
www.lensandtales.com
Adithya Biloor

Location: Biloor, Nittor -p,Hosanagar-Tq, Shivamogga -Dis, Karnataka,India

Re: Tales of a tangled mind - Series

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:56 pm

Adithya,
What are your thoughts on this series? How do you explain it?

A few years ago I enjoyed doing similar images like this, this,this and this (and a few others which you may find in my website in older archives). When I was attempting such images along with aesthetics I was keen on emotional attribution of such creations. While I still love aesthetics part of it my emotional response seem to have got diluted to such creations of mine since another aspect of nature, namely indifferent 'truth' seem to have taken over. While I still love how the birds melt down amidst the forms and shapes of the nature my mind yearn for more - the truth in particular. That said, in field, I tend to comfortably fall back on the previous habits since portraying 'truth' in interesting ways is extremely tough to say the least.

Quick comments on the images based on my aesthetics which you may safely ignore :)

Image# 1: I like how a few birds become part of the branches. I don't think the vertical out of focus branch on the left adds to my sense of aesthetics.

Image#2: I think smaller bird would have added further?

Image#3: I like it, because I could not spot a bird!!

Image#4: I like how the curves of birds matches with the rest of the forms and shapes.

Image#5: I know where the bird is but I am looking for more...

Image#6: KF is too sharp for my tastebuds and does not see to gel with the rest of the creations

Image#7: Love this, don't mind the centered composition

Image#8: Too sharp?

Image#9 & #10: Seem to work!

Image #11,12,13: Not sure!

Image #15: Works well

Image #16: I like it, forms and shapes seem to naturally merge.

Image#17 (the last color image): Odd man out. Does not seem to go with the rest in the series due to the color.
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby Adithya Biloor » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:30 pm

Ganesh,

Thanks a lot for your views and comments.

About the series

This is an attempt to portray the confused or rather depressed mind through a series of images.

The black tones, through foliage vision, defocused branches, etc are to convey the haphazard state of mind. The intention is to show a state of mind which is tired, tangled - in its own thoughts or external pressure which is immaterial at this moment - through nature images. In most of the images, a bird or set of birds is the mind. In some images the bird is absent.

However, I have intentionally chosen the transition from darker images to lighter, whiter images to show - there might be some hope/ everything may come to order feeling.

The last color image is to show "Still some colors left" (as the title says) to indicate that the mind is not completely deranged. It is an intentional one to show the happy, positive side of the mind. Yes, it is an odd one. An intentional odd one :)

I am not sure how much I have succeeded in portraying these things in the images.

Thanks,
Adithya
Regards,
Adithya Biloor
www.lensandtales.com
Adithya Biloor

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:33 pm

Adithya,

This is an attempt to portray the confused or rather depressed mind through a series of images.

I think that one line in the initial description would have helped interpret the series better.
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby Prashanth Sampagar » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:31 am

Adithya,

Very nice series. I think it's difficult to transform such a subject into images/series. I think you were brave enough to experiment with a subject like this.

Coming to the images, I feel few of the images are excellent. The images with recognisable shapes/subjects were easy to connect for me. Especially "congregation of black thoughts" and "behind bad thoughts" are my favorite among those. I liked the concepts of "two sides of the brain", "that mind behind".

Among the abstract images, "deranged and tired" is my favourite. The clutter and the gradual transition between the dark and high tones is adding a lot.

Other images, as single images most of them work for me, but as a series few of them may not fit in, IMHO. I felt slight grain and bringing all the images to similar tonal ranges might have conveyed the message better.
Keep experimenting.

Best regards,
Prashanth
Prashanth Sampagar

My Insta feed
Prashanth Sampagar

Postby Anders Wahlund » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:56 am

Difficult difficult difficult. To be able to take in a rather moody and complex thema, the viewer must be in a special mood too! And I guess it can vary greatly between which images can "hit" different viewer's emotions. What is interesting, I think, here we can not talk about theory or methods, here it is about immidiate gut feeling - do I feel for the image, or not?!
I like number 3 for its patterns and shapes. And Ganesh comment is striking good!
Number 4 is nice. But I am not sure if the birds are "tangled". They are as a community in their circle, have at least each other and are not alone.
Number 7 is beautiful and my favourite in the serie. I though, would crop some on the right side 1) for on purpose to set the bird in center! 2) and as a bonus: The grey stick on the right side disturbs but would then vanish.
Number 15 is also an image I like. If it was mine I would check the background, that it is exactly horisontal. Crop a very little small on the right side, so the short dark sticks are left out. Then I would try a panorama format, and cut somewhere below the birds.
Anders Wahlund

Postby Nevil Zaveri » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:37 pm

Adithya,

Interesting set of images n intriguing series. Esp love the subtle play of DOF, aesthetics and emotional content in many.

Frankly speaking I don't enjoy scrolling down esp watching a series .. flippling images would be better to concentrate on every 'single' image, hence a slideshow may work better.
Instead of making a very long series, breaking down in 2-3 parts may help viewer remember n connect to other images (in the same series) more easily.
For me, the_predater_mind, in_my_own_shackles and coloured one looks out of place.
And 1, 3, 7, 9, 16 n 17 are my fav.

Agree with Anders on how different viewer may perceive n respond differently .. you are the best to judge!
Warm regards.
Nevil Zaveri

Postby Adithya Biloor » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:52 pm

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions and comments.

Ganesh,

I thought the title will explain my thoughts and hence didn't write about the series, maybe I should have.

Nevil, Anders, and Prashanth, thanks for your views.
Nevil, Yes, a slideshow might have been better, but don't know how to create it on CNP.

Thanks again for your views and suggestions.

Adithya
Regards,
Adithya Biloor
www.lensandtales.com
Adithya Biloor

Postby Shankar Kiragi » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:05 pm

Adithya,

I went through the images and notes from you. I am not sure it's just 'me" that, I do not like use art forms (in this case photography) to express confusion, depression or sadness. For me indulging into photography to get out of those situations and get satisfaction and happiness.

Some of those images are great in artistic pattern and esthetics.
Cheers, Shankar Kiragi
Shankar Kiragi

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography