Further on Wabi-Sabi

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

Further on Wabi-Sabi

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:40 am

Today I was reading an article on wabi-sabi (link to the article here).

I first came to know about this Japanese phrase from an image post here in CNP by Arati about a decade ago. Later we had many discussions on Wabi-Sabi here in CNP. A few related threads here:

Web Designs - Wabi-sabi

I think Nirlep's images visually articulate what Wabi-sabi is when it is applied to nature photography. Here is one such.

image_id: 15109

I think the essence of Wabi-Sabi goes beyond accepting cracked ceramic plate as is and accentuating such cracks with gold lining. Such an 'artistic endeavor' in my mind is a prescriptive attempt at redefining what art is. I also don't think it is about minimalism in expression of subjects in nature either.

I think the essence of Wabi-sabi it is about silent appreciation in all humbleness what Spinoza said:

Whenever, anything in nature seems to us ridiculous, absurd or evil, it is because we have but a partial knowledge of things, and are in the main ignorant of the order and coherence of nature as a whole, and because we want everything to be arranged according to the dictates of our own reason; although in fact, what our reason pronounces bad is not bad as regards the orders and laws of universal nature, but only as regards the laws of our own nature taken separately. As for the terms good and bad, they indicate nothing positive considered in themselves. . . . For one and the same thing can at the same time be good, bad, and indifferent - (from Ethics by Baruch Spinoza)

Here, I don't think Spinoza's words are dry, appearing formal/mathematical and lacking artistic expression. I do understand 'feel', 'artistic appeal', 'moody' and all those words that we often use when we can't articulate what appeals to us in an image. However, I think it is more important to spend a few minutes taking what is in front of us 'as is' before rearranging them or manipulating elements of the Nature the way we want to see it. For all you know, things may be more 'meaningful' as is. It does not need an explanation because it is the way it is! If we rearrange things then we are answerable to many questions. We are not shying away from answering but genuineness of an image depends on genuineness of our answers and maturity of our thoughts. That said, I think it takes immense creativity and imagination to see 'as is'!!

PS: We now have many new members in the forum who have missed some of these interesting discussions we had in the past. I just wanted to bring up some of those interesting links buried deep inside archives of CNP.
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Re: Further on Wabi-Sabi

Postby nirlep » Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:32 pm

Hi Ganesh!
Been a long time. First of all thanks you very much for the kind mention and bringing up the topic so close to my heart although I too never knew there's word for what I was doing. Ganesh my take is pretty much as yours
"However, I think it is more important to spend a few minutes taking what is in front of us 'as is' before rearranging them or manipulating elements of the Nature the way we want to see it. For all you know, things may be more 'meaningful' as is. It does not need an explanation because it is the way it is! If we rearrange things then we are answerable to many questions. We are not shying away from answering but genuineness of an image depends on genuineness of our answers and maturity of our thoughts."

In approaching photography my approach is to go with my creative resonance which is mostly commonplace things. It is something which results in immediate connect with our beings. Now whether or not it qualifies as art? That shouldn't bother. Creative resonance would be different for different persons. Just the way "Lyrical" a strong part of your being reflects so eloquently in your work. When the contact is made and whether it happens at the level of thought or at a deeper level I would quote Melinda Blauvelt "Making photographs is a way to extend looking. It's not verbal. It's visceral and it's constant".

I believe thought comes later at the level of composing. First comes the call-out from the arrangement out there. As witness to the scene we're obviously the first responders. Stimulus of Wabi-sabi, being things (ordinary things) as they are lies in abundance all around. How our lenses get trained in a particular direction is a very complex phenomenon to me. Another parallel to Wabi-sabi would be thoughts from Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching where he says "Exhibit the unadorned and embrace the uncarved block...." in his radical XIX th thought. In that sense exhibiting the unadorned becomes a choice, loaded with the political.
You've stirred me up, thanks for that...I'm sure I'll come back to the thread again. There's a lot going in my mind...
nirlep

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography