metering in close up photography

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

metering in close up photography

Postby Nilanjan Das » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:48 am

Hi

Last Sunday I had been out to photograph a few butterflies. I was in a kind of a situation where a few butterflies were in light and shade as they were hovering in and out of the bushes. Generally I depend on my incident light meter for setting exposure and then shoot in manual mode, but here I was unsure, I decided to switch over to aperture priority and kept the metering in matrix. I am not happy at all with the results, and am sure something went wrong here on my part. I would be very happy if you kindly share your views on how I should used the metering. Should I have continued shooting taking reading from the light meter ? Should I have switched from matrix to Centre weighted or spot metering ?

regards

Nilanjan
Nilanjan Das

Re: metering in close up photography

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:59 pm

Dear Nilanjan, in such situations either you can use matrix and sufficients bracket the image or use your light meter for the sunlight and bracket it again (may be +1/3 to +1/2 stop).

- Regards,
Ganesh.
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography