The right Exposure

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

The right Exposure

Postby Nilanjan Das » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:21 am

Well, am not a pundit on exposures and that has often left me wondering about why, ifs and buts :), but one thing it has always forced me to do is to ask the question is there at all a perfect exposure ? I have often wondered, if we can think of various frames of the same subject, then we can also perhaps think of various exposures in the same light or during different times of the day. There are maximum possibilities of photographers ending up with comments like, I feel this is a tad dark, some would say I see the light switched off in your image or some would say woww, thats the light I like :). I was thinking about night time landscape photography which like everybody else says is very much like day light images minus the shadows, I wanted to learn about making some cloud images in various exposures varying from day light to night time over various seasons. While studying on this I came across a nice article on Exposures ( many may not find any thing new to learn from it, but I was thinking of a few beginners like me ). http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm.
I myself think exposures to me mean how I want to see it, I am slowly feeling that our ways of seeing gets fixed by meter readings. Meter readings tell us about the reality, in creativity we tend to shift a little away from reality in every possible way, at least I want to. Now, I do not think making all sorts of changes in a frame might make it a great image. Are all creative images great to see or qualify as wall hangings ? Mine dont :). Just everytime when I start thinking that now perhaps am feeling a bit comfortable with my abilities to handle the camera, a tide comes and washes away my illusion, no end to seeing, no end to imagining and no end to learning how to convert those visions and imaginations into a good visual data.
I heard the term intervalometer for the first time yesterday and a dear friend told me its in every Nikon menu :). I went crazy the whole night trying to search for it in the camera menu and finally after not finding it, googled for it, which perhaps I should have done earlier ( old generation computer illiterate people like me suffer at times ). Then I came to know its Time interval photography or time lapse photography and I immediately got interested to learn about it. Not much luck till now as am madly trying to understand how all the things in time lapse relate to each other. I would be very happy if someone who knows about this starts a discussion on how to understand this well so that we can all try this and make some nice images using our own imagination.
Finally, I do not know if this was the right place to post something like this or not, if the moderators feel the other way, my apologies.

Nilanjan
Nilanjan Das

Re: The right Exposure

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:56 pm

Nilanjan, let me share my thoughts on "right" exposure. Is there a right exposure ? To me the answer is yes from scientific perspective and no from artistic/creative perspective. Scientifically right exposure means the exposure which makes mid-tones as mid tones, blacks as blacks and whites are whites. Do we always want it that way - not at all. That is where we photographers differ from x-ray technicians - in my humble view. But we all definitely need to know how the get the scientifically "right" exposure and then make a choice of deviating depending on our taste. Basics first then creativity and art. That is where tools like light meters come to our rescue.

Regarding time lapse, I think you should talk to either Shivkumar L or Sriharsha Ganjam.
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography