Artist's Statement - Discussion

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

Artist's Statement - Discussion

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:26 pm

Artist's statements are common in the world of art (painting), less so in nature photography. But several of us want to
pursue nature photography as an art. I think sitting back and asking a few questions ourselves and reflecting on them may be
a very useful excercise.

Why do I do nature photography ?
My approach towards nature photography as an art
What it portrays/signifies to me ? What it means to me ?

Answers to these may sum up as our "artist's statement".

Here is an excercise - Share an image or two in this thread and write below them your "artist's statement". Assuming you are exhibiting those
posted image in a gallery and you were absent. Your "artist's statement" is what viewers will use to understand the context around your
work of art.

Now give it a try - I think it may bring clarity on so many things which you have never thought of !

Here goes mine (with lots of difficulty).

bearcub_on_bear1_bw.jpg
bearcub_on_bear1_bw.jpg (221.36 KiB) Viewed 6245 times

natures_cartoon_ex1.jpg
natures_cartoon_ex1.jpg (179.12 KiB) Viewed 6245 times

Having born and brought up in a remote rural village close to jungles of Western Ghats my passion for nature is by birth.
It accidently turned into nature photography 15 years back, which is now a passion - as essential as air and water.
I love the unexplainable art of colors, colorless, forms, shapes, light... and the challenge of characterizing
interactions of those attributes which touches minds of those who love the art of light.

In field I stare through my view finder for hours, trying to understand what touches my soul and for what reason. This
continues then at home sitting in front of the computer for hours. In search of art I went more than one full circle while trying
to balance the use of tools and emotional needs of expressions as a human being.

In my work I would love to be faithful to the medium and try to show unique non-obvious perspectives of nature which makes a viewer
think beyond the image. I don't want my works to be completely open for interpretation at the same time not completely closed too. I
would love to leave a bit of room in my images to grow in the minds of the viewers.

And yours ? :) Or your views on this topic ?
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Re: Artist's Statement - Discussion

Postby Nilanjan Das » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:13 am

This looks great Ganesh, I would upload mine by the end of this week.
Nilanjan Das

Postby dinesh.ramarao » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:55 pm

When I got my first brush and water colors at 5, i just spread them. When I looked at works of Picasso, Ravi Verama at 10 I wanted to be an artist.
When I got my first cricket bat at 7, i hit the rubber ball. When I watched .Vishwanath batting at 13, I wanted to be a cricketer.
When I put my hands on banjo at 9, i played noise. When i listened to Kadri at 12, I wanted to be a musician.
When I clicked Agfa Click at 11, i wasted film. When I looked at Hanumantha Rao's prints at 15 I wanted to be a photographer.
I forgot all of them, became an engineer at 22. Alogrithms, Eulers, Turings, stacks, lists, data, design... I had lost my mind.
I gained when I saw nature again. Picked up my camera at 35, felt i'm not lost, i was just wandering in life.
I'm back with my mind and heart.
I'm enjoying my journey. Come with me, enjoy the Nature.
-RD
- RD
dinesh.ramarao

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:50 pm

RD, that is more of an autobiography than artist's statement :)

It is long since we met. We should again I guess. I am sure will join us for CNP meet :)
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby dinesh.ramarao » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:44 am

Well, i guess my words didnot convey what I wanted. And i'm not a writer. My writings would look like a serious design document than a simple reading, i tried, i failed :)
In simple words,
" I'm no Artist, I've no statement, I create something, you may enjoy them. If you don't so be it "

Sure, i'm coming to CNP meet. But, but, but, i'm enjoying our interaction in this virtual world.
-RD
- RD
dinesh.ramarao

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography