Preconceived Emotions for making images...Possible ?

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

Preconceived Emotions for making images...Possible ?

Postby Nilanjan Das » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:36 pm

It becomes my duty to honestly confess that I did not read Cohen's poem when I was in Bharatpur. The image ( Other Me ) was not created keeping Cohen's words in mind. It was just another reflection image which I was very happy to shoot with some very close to heart friends like RD, Praveen, Abhisek, Kiran and most elusive friend Sun God :-). I often think that images are results of ideas and emotions which happen in the field and help in creating visuals. Converting an image into art later being inspired by songs or poems raises many questions in my mind. Frankly I had never considered finding myself in a situation like this. I spoke to a painter today and asked him about my worries. He said often many painters prefer to keep various works unfinished at various stages and move on to a new one. Ideas of a new one often are born from the previous one he was working on. Many a times, they take the liberty to bring more changes in the old unfinished paintings, some new thoughts etc if space or possibility allows, thus entirely changing the concept. From that angle he did not find anything alarming that I indulged in post processing changes to convert an impromptu image into an expression related to someone's poem. He said now that I have those words in my mind, I should think of other ways of expressing it. I have always relied on connecting to nature on the spot, something that I see, or feel to stimulates my senses. I have never thought of creating images indulging in preconceived emotions which work more as ideas and very less as emotions in my mind. Things are really getting complex. What are your thoughts. Myself and Ganshi were discussing something very close to these lines. I can think of learning from music, poems, works of literature, modern and contemporary art which would make me more sensitive, have an influence on my thinking to try creating new visuals, but is it art to actually not have the emotion working in mind at the time of creating an image ?? Can I make an image which speaks of sadness by not feeling sad ? Will I be satisfied to carry the idea of sadness and make an image which speaks of sadness ? Will I not end up creating something which has no emotional value at all ??
I would love to know about your thoughts.
Nilanjan Das

Re: Preconceived Emotions for making images...Possible ?

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:02 am

I spoke to a painter today and asked him about my worries. He said often many painters prefer to keep various works unfinished at various stages and move on to a new one. Ideas of a new one often are born from the previous one he was working on. Many a times, they take the liberty to bring more changes in the old unfinished paintings, some new thoughts etc if space or possibility allows, thus entirely changing the concept. From that angle he did not find anything alarming that I indulged in post processing changes to convert an impromptu image into an expression related to someone's poem.

Thanks for sharing that Nilanjan. I think that is what happens given the unpredictable nature of the nature photography. Nothing is in our control. This time I carried giga bytes of music with me composed by Mozart, Beethoven et. al hoping to find those 'compositions' in nature. Nope, it did not workout.

I can think of learning from music, poems, works of literature, modern and contemporary art which would make me more sensitive, have an influence on my thinking to try creating new visuals, but is it art to actually not have the emotion working in mind at the time of creating an image ?? Can I make an image which speaks of sadness by not feeling sad ? Will I be satisfied to carry the idea of sadness and make an image which speaks of sadness ? Will I not end up creating something which has no emotional value at all ??

I don't think making a sad/happy image without feeling so can be effective. However, if we can unwind sitting at a location in field and give some time for those moods to settle down then images may have natural mood in them. Easier said than done. We need to restrict our urge to rush to a spot where a tiger/Sarus Crane is sighted :) Just my thoughts, would love the hear others views..
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby nirlep » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:28 pm

All individuals are emotional complexes. Hues of diverse emotions appear and disappear at moments not in our control. Nevertheless they remain in us intertwined like nature in RDs AOC. You can't tell what originates where. Sadness might have a silver lining or an upbeat mood laced with sorrow...this is the pleasure and beauty of being emotion beings. When we land at a place, any place to make images, it is our total emotional being which responds to the stimulii. If we do not side with any specific emotional side of ours chances are that we will get images resonating with diverse emotional contents in the end. For me it is surrender. I would rather let the place work on me. Just be the conduit of expression than the source.
Moods form and dissolve like clouds on an ever active canvas. We may not even know and yet click a sad image or a happy one, the transition can happen so quick. Clicking I feel is only part planned. Rest of it happens on its own. un-consciously. On the strength of the moment. When we head back home with our GBs of images be sure its a mixed bag waiting to be classified into emotional pigeon holes, our intent notwithstanding.
nirlep

Postby Rajkumar » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:22 pm

Recently I got some photos reviewed by a experienced photographer. Interestingly the pictures in which there was even a iota of pre thought and a conscious recognition of why I was doing what I was doing seemed to create a immediate connection for him. On the other hand the once I had taken only to show a nice lighting or tonal situation (like most of my pics :) ) seemed to cut no ice at all.
Other situations where I did not allow the emotions to sink in as I a clearly remember I had almost made it but fell just that bit short.
For me this was a great aha moment

Am I missing the point being made here ?
Art is about what is inside rather than what is outside
Rajkumar

Postby Nilanjan Das » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:45 am

I don't think you missed anything here Raj :-). Different methods work for different individuals. I particularly liked and connected to the way Nirlep analyzed the situation. I would really be in deep trouble if I go to a place and end up in making images with multiple emotional responses. Is it possible to swing moods or emotions while making images in a place ? May be these are certain things we will know only with experience and then adapt to what suits best for us. No rules or laws guiding us I guess.
Nilanjan Das

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography