Some questions on creating an "Original"

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

Some questions on creating an "Original"

Postby Hrishikesh N » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:06 pm

A thought crossed my mind while reading a book recently. It is very much necessary to climb up and down each word that you read in a book with mild, sensitive ploughing on the surface of the words. If we read fast and plough hard, then instead of climbing up and down each word, we will be running through the words, distorting the words, disfiguring them and destroying them completely on some occasions. Not the words on the book, but the words that enter the receptive mind. The meaning of the literature will get distorted or disfigured and loosely connected or disconnected fragments, resulting in a partial or complete loss of the original meaning as intended by its creator. The literature pushed back to a deconstructed stage of understanding. Now, these fragments may result in similar fragments of thoughts which will end up in some corner never accessed by your receptive mind. Is it possible that these fragments attach themselves to Your Original, Creative Thoughts, distort them, and end up as ideas, creative expressions, forms, words, which end up as "really" are not so original? Would you really know, if it is so? Is it possible to identify these fragments and weed them out of the Original Thoughts?......

Now, if a picture is worth a thousand words, then, this effect (of loss of originality), is so quickly compounded while creating images/ Visuals, what we feel may be Original for us.
(It is not about getting inspired by another person work after fully understanding it as the Creator intended)

On the other hand, "Is it possible for one such thought based on a wrong interpretation, may have the potential to become some thing absolutely Original?" (' Wrong ' i mean, not as intended by the Creator)

Just a thought that has been lingering in my head for some time.

Please do share you thoughts.
Thank you :)
Last edited by Hrishikesh N on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hrishikesh
http://www.facebook.com/hrishikeshNSwamy?ref=hl
Hrishikesh N

Re: Some questions on creating an "Original"

Postby Vijay Mohan Raj » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:24 pm

Hrishikesh,

We did have a nice thread earlier on the very topic, the answers does not answer all.
Glad you brought up this question

link is here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=284&p=807#p807

regards
VMR
A creative mind is a restless soul...
Vijay Mohan Raj

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:21 am

Hrishikesh, I think the best thing is we don't need a certificate from anyone that the work we produce is original :) We can be (probably need to be) ruthless judges of our own work. While it is difficult to assess originality of a given work at any point in time (based on our own experience and the exposure to others work) we kind of get a hint on where we stand.

On the other hand, "Is it possible for one such thought based one a wrong interpretation, may have the potential to become some thing absolutely Original?" (' Wrong ' i mean, not as intended by the Creator)

I strongly think yes ! We had one discussion in the past on whether a critique can be creation (this looks similar).

Just my 2c...
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby AratiRao » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:30 am

hrishikesh,
great thread... not sure i am on topic here... but as i mull over these things, and go through the motions ... i have come out strongly subscribing to Cartier-Bresson, Tao, the Gita here.

There are no new ideas in the world, there’s only new arrangements of things. Everything is new, every minute is new. It means reexamining.”

thoughtful critique leads to discussion and learning and new arrangements. but if one is looking to think one has created something original, or is looking for create for such labels, i feel that is an illusion... it is but ego and hanging on to preconceived notions.

trying to create itself flies in the face of nature. creativity springs from the subconscious, the soul, the true nature of you. and it is by definition original then. If you "try" then it is like killing it :)

not sure if i am making sense!
AratiRao

Postby Vikas T R » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:15 pm

interesting thread...

it may be out of topic, but found it interesting:

http://www.thedailyzen.org/2012/07/art- ... ation.html
"The art of simplicity is a puzzle of complexity."
-Vikas
PhotoGallery of Vikas
Vikas T R
Site Admin

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:51 am

Interesting link there Vikas. Unlike brush it is an interesting challenge to light-paint the subconscious using camera. Achieving control over the medium with far more compressed time (shutter) is an interesting challenge to work with.
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography