One Creation!

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

One Creation!

Postby Prashanth Sampagar » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:29 pm

This thought has been running in my mind since long.

We learn from mentors, gurus, our fellow photographers, we like their work, we mark many as our favorite images/work. But very few touch our soul, inspire us. Now I'm curious to see what is that favorite work that has inspired you. Please post one creation(single image or series) by the other member or by any other artist outside the forum, which has touched you. And also if you could explain the reason why this.

Appreciate your participation.

Best Regards,
Prashanth
Prashanth Sampagar

My Insta feed
Prashanth Sampagar

Re: One Creation!

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:17 pm

Prashanth, I have a long reply... Do give me a few days, super busy now... :)
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby Prashanth Sampagar » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:20 pm

Ganesh, eager to see your reply.

Best Regards,
Prashanth
Prashanth Sampagar

My Insta feed
Prashanth Sampagar

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:56 pm

Prashanth,

With all humbleness, here are my views, others mileage vary :)

About 15-20 years back I really liked a few photographers' work. I learnt basic photography skills going through lovely books written by John Shaw. I loved all his beautiful images of nature then. I also loved some of the images of Frans Lanting, Galen Rowell and a few others then.
Now, ~20 years later, I think I am in an interesting situation. Let me start with your question -

Now I'm curious to see what is that favourite work that has inspired you. Please post one creation

To me the very purpose of nature photography has changed. A few important changes happened over several years -

I needed an answer for an important question - Why do I photograph? What Nature Photography means to me ?

Nature Photography practiced today portrays mostly beauty of nature - exotic locations, landscapes, seascapes, animal portrait, wide angle perspectives, finer macro details and this list goes on on. We also see occasionally conservation related images. In summary we state/show what we see, mostly the objective truth. After 20 years this objective truth seem to lack its meaning!! Yes nature is beautiful, but then it is a tautology!

I now think what is more interesting is subjective truth! Beyond showing beautiful accounts, for me, the purpose of the image is to stir some thoughts like what authors do, the purpose is to share some feelings like poets and painters. The metric now has changed from for how long you see the image verses for how long think after seeing the image!

But then why nature? Isn't it a wrong medium for this purpose? Why not other genres of photography?

This question haunted me for sometime. Finally (I think) I found an answer - the perfect medium is in fact nature itself! However, the nature here has a different purpose. The main use of it for me is abstraction. While it is easier to portray feelings in human subjects abstractions are a challenge! It is very difficult to show nature using humans but I *think* I can show humans using subjects nature!! It is a very interesting challenge and can become very powerful, at times.

Now, back to the question - who's work?

I think what is said is more important than who said it. That said, with all humbleness, is there another forum where you see steady stream images of nature which goes beyond factual representation of nature? More importantly is there a place on the net sharing a good body of work and images of nature which makes you think? I wish there were many, but have not found them yet. I am sure we will see them in future. But for now the most of the work I cherish are embedded here in archives of CNP, produced by fearless photographers like you!!
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby Prashanth Sampagar » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:14 pm

Dear Ganesh,

Sorry for the late response. First of all thank you for the write up. I completely agree with your view. I never felt the need to look at other forums(if any exist like cnp). CNP has been a great inspiration for many including me. The reason why I asked this question is to understand everyone's view, how much we take the inspiration from other images.

I'll try to share few images which completely changed my view on photography from time to time. There have been many images which are my favorites but I will try to pick few which made me stop what I was doing and let me take the photography even more serious.
Ganesh, with your permission may I use some of your images here.

First one is the vulture shot from Ramnagar which completely changed the way I look at photography . I was a hardcore bird photographer then, this image made me look at the composition aspect of the photography.

Then I came across your image of a butterfly here which again completely changed my view on photography. I came to know about the existence of "pre-visualization". Technical brilliance of this image is one aspect and pre-visualizing is is another aspect.

image_id: 9457
Then comes this master image, I don't know for some reason every time I view this image it brings tears in my eyes. I'm not sure whether I'll ever be able to make an image which is emotionally anywhere close to this image. Great learning from this image is the emotional aspect of creative photography.

Apart from this there have been images from Nick brandt especially the conservation related images, Andy rouse, Art Wolfe to mention few.

Thanks,
Best Regards,
Prashanth
Prashanth Sampagar

My Insta feed
Prashanth Sampagar

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:11 am

Prashanth, these were made several years ago. If I look at them now, I think the first one is beautiful but not very unique (now). The second one looks creative and and may be interesting. However, both look too perfect for my current taste. The last one is still appealing to my senses, however I would love to see it a bit more raw.

Gone with the wind and we moved on in this interesting journey of introspections...
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby Prashanth Sampagar » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:08 am

Ganesh,

Gone with the wind and we moved on in this interesting journey of introspections...

Glad to be part of this journey, and you have taught us how to introspect through your work.

Regards,
Prashanth
Prashanth Sampagar

My Insta feed
Prashanth Sampagar

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography