I wish you could've smelled him - crop 2

We often suggest changes to posted images. If we want to take some time to illustrate the changes then users can post and discuss the the changed image here. PLEASE TAKE CONSENT FROM THE POSTER BEFORE YOU DOWNLOAD/EDIT OtHERS' IMAGES. Please keep files sizes small - preferablly less than 650pixels on longer side.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Raviprakash S S, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

I wish you could've smelled him - crop 2

Postby AratiRao » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:06 pm

musth_spray_bw_600.jpg
musth_spray_bw_600.jpg (220.72 KiB) Viewed 6168 times

Hi
this is the other crop i had - slightly looser than the one posted here: image_id: 6154
this one is in BW

i struggled with the close crop vs this one.
as usual, looks like i picked the unpopular choice!!

;-)a
AratiRao

Re: I wish you could've smelled him - crop 2

Postby Praveen P Mohandas » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:52 am

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/whats-on/ ... ategory=46

please find link for how powerful tight crop is..

Praveen
Praveen P Mohandas

Postby AratiRao » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:43 am

Wow, Thanks Praveen - i *love* that image! yes, i wanted a tight crop, so went with it... but maybe it is a very individual thing... i am working with so many elephant images lately and am gravitating towards tight where i feel i want to call attention to a pattern or a motion... what i love about photography is how we live through a moment and then can live through it many more times, in many more ways, through working on an image of that moment! richer, many-emotioned experiences...

thanks again,
A
AratiRao

Postby Nilanjan Das » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:29 pm

Praveen's bang on here :-), just posted a comment on this image and saw Praveen's suggested link. Your image will get better with a tighter crop. I suggest that you crop from the top, lose the eyes, the middle and the bottom part of the image has all the elements to carry this image forward. By the way, is this a captive elephant ? Very much looks like one actually....
Nilanjan Das

Postby Nilanjan Das » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:30 pm

Ohhh one more thing !!! I think the colored version looks much better than the monochrome....
Nilanjan Das

Postby AratiRao » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:00 am

Nilanjan-da -- yes, i see completely what you guys mean by the closest crop possible... in my own files i have that too! :) tried everything.

hahaha... that musth male will be very offended at being called captive!! he is the largest male in that part of sri lanka. amazing fellow. Did you feel like that because of the pigmentation? his coloration stunned me a bit too, reminding me of a big captive tusker in BRHills... but no... this fellow was wildly free!
AratiRao

Return to Illustration Forum