An Interesting Research - Color, Sound and Emotion

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

An Interesting Research - Color, Sound and Emotion

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:11 am

Yesterday I happen find this interesting presentation on youtube about a research work centered around emotional attribution of color and sound.

It is 1 hr+ lecture as part of Google talk by Prof Stephen E. Palmer. I do believe this is very much useful for us as photographers. Listen to excerpts related to significance of brighter colors vs. darker colors (how the emotional attribution swings)
and also discussion about tempo.

I have been experimenting with color abstracts keeping the base color same along with forms and shapes and only varying brightness attribute.

Do you agree we move from sad to happy notes in these images above ?

If so, does it make sense to title this below triptych as Pain to Pleasure ?

In a related note, in this image below posted in the critique forum -

image_id: 9702

I tried to mix two emotions using my favorite TS lens which creates natural vignetting due to tilt ( at bottom part of the frame in the above image, hence darker red). What does this mean ? When I looked at this frame through my viewfinder the words that came to my mind were(by Da. Ra. Bendre) -

ಅತ್ತಾರೆ ಅತ್ತು ಬಿಡು ಹೊನಲು ಬರಲಿ
ನಕ್ಯಾಕ ಮರೆಸತೀ ದುಃಖ

( Why pretend to smile
let the river of tears flow
) - related to a sad event in Da. Ra. Bendre's life, Bendre's words to his wife)

However, I must admit that the image I made probably could not be related... ;)
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography