CNP Book - Please share your feedback

This forum is dedicated for discussions related to features of CNP. All suggestions are welcome!! We may not be able address all of them nevertheless.

Moderators: Madhav Jois, Vikas T R, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N

CNP Book - Please share your feedback

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:59 pm

Dear friends,

I think most of you who have ordered the CNP book have received it by now. We as a team have been receiving some finest complements as personal mails, on Whatsup, on Facebook, over phone etc. I thought it is a good idea to have them in one place. This will help us in future if we decide to do the next volume a few years from now. For those for have shared their feedback over personal E-mail with me or others in CNP team please do consider taking a few minutes to share it for everyone.

In particular please share:

1. Your overall first impression
2. What looks good?
3. What in your mind will make it better if we were to do it again?
4. Any other feedback you would like to share

For those who could not attend the CNP meet and hence missed the talk by RD on what went into making this book, here I am trying to summarise his one hour talk into few lines. Purpose of me giving this is summary to encourage you to take a few minutes of your quality time to share a few words since we poured our heart and soul into this effort. Obviously this can't do any justice to what RD shared. RD, you may consider posting a thread on "CNP book making"!

CNP Book was a very big team work spanned over couple of years. Needless to say this was a selfless non-commercial work done by members of the CNP team. The whole project was self financed by all of us who finally paid for each book we printed. We wanted to print at least 100 books to bring down the overall cost. We got pre-order for about 119 books and finally printed 125 books. The effort involved includes selection of images (out of about 9000+ images) from 10 years collection by the 7 member CNP team driven by Ramesh, sample printing of selected images to check the quality, journey in search of printing houses, exploring choices of fine art papers which suits images, experiments with simplistic yet artistic design of the book, making proof prints to ensure the quality we aspired for and final production prints. The book had 12 draft versions and detailed reviews. As RD mentioned in his presentation each "pixel" was a conscious design. Be it as part of selected images or in the choice and placement of fonts or places where there are no pixels! I will leave the rest to RD. Having lived through the painful printing process he can do better justice. I am sure that will be a long thread.

Please take a few minutes to summarise your thoughts as requested above (first impressions/what looks good/improvement suggestions).

Thanks in advance!
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Re: CNP Book - Please share your feedback

Postby bharath » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:53 am

Dear All,
I received the CNP books and it’s difficult to put in words about the experience of feeling this artistic work. It’s extraordinarily effort and seeing each image in such a quality print takes it different level. I can see great amount of hard work behind and sincerely thank everyone for such a fantastic outcome which will be treasured for rest of the life.

My ‘creative’ nature photography ventures are very lethargic these days. With CNP books on our coffee table now, I am sure to get inspired to regularly venture out to do what I love the most.

I also cannot appreciate enough the efforts taken to ship the books so quickly which reached in time to Chennai from where my brother (thanks to him as well as he paid for overall extra baggage) got it all the way to Melbourne. The first reaction was “wow”, “awesome”, “mind blowing” etc. I know CNP looks for constructive feedback beyond such words which I will ponder and probably provide in future if any.

Thanks once again for great efforts.
bharath

Postby ramesh_adkoli » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:51 pm

Comment by my friend, Aveejeet Palit, who bought Art of Seeing book. He is not a photographer:

Good morning, Ramesh.

I have been meaning to write to you ever since I browsed the books but can’t find the words!

The hard work, passion and skill in every page is stupendous. The level of work is at a plane that most of us can only hope to experience on every turn of a page and cannot dream of having the intellect and the words to comment.

Honestly, I feel blessed to have the opportunity to own this work and am eternally thankful that you gave me the opportunity. I am embarrassed to imagine that I had the gaul to pay for it. I will only consider that to be a dakshina and say thank you. This is priceless ...
Last edited by ramesh_adkoli on Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ramesh_adkoli

Postby ramesh_adkoli » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:55 pm

Comment by my photographer friend, Dhinesh Kumar, who bought the Art of Seeing Book:

Good morning sir. I had about three hours yesterday and went through only five images...deciphering each image from why he pressed shutter button on that particular instant to composition, tonal range, light, story line developed post or pre shutter release, etc., taking lot of time... it’s indeed a lovely journey. I think, I will be able to compete all volumes by this year end...
ramesh_adkoli

Postby swapnil19 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:47 pm

Whatever I write ahead is just 10 percent of the feelings that I felt while going through the brilliant set of the volumes you creates. All the memories, the awe I felt when i first became a member of CNP , the change of thought process I went through and introduction to other world of art just swept by as I looked through the pictures. All my favourite images from the past years got life ,i cannot put words to the feeling to be honest....
The collection is a jewel in itself and I would not think twice in saying that these are the best set of photobooks ive come across. Very happy to have been a part of the process right from inception in dandeli in 2016 to having these in hand.
I have to thank and congratulate specially to the creators of these books whose efforts we have seen online and now enjoy in our hands and i also congratulate all fhe fellow cnpians to be a part of this.
Swapnil Deshpande
http://​swades1986.blogspot.i​n/
swapnil19

Postby krishnan v » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:05 pm

I just received my set.

One word "PHENOMENAL" in the sense of the quality of presentation, choice of images , the printing & layout. Great idea to have some of the discussions printed at the end. Definitely one of a kind book.

That said couple of points that I noticed

1. Way too heavy to browse holding the book
2. I will have "OCD" washing my hands super clean before I touch the clean white pages. Cotton gloves maybe ...
3. The Title and names on the black pages could be made brighter though it works well in good light. Little dimmer light and its difficult to read. Text could be a shade larger too
4. Some QR code or something at the end to take the reader to the story behind the image next time ? Say thumbnail index with QR codes linking to the forum here for that exact image. A lot of images I just don't understand, hence want to know more. And each selected image to have some explanation written out in the gallery to aid the reader understand better.
5. Some "Indian peoples" original quotes too
6. Some more super colourful images maybe

Going to take a couple months to really go through each image in detail!

Great job and congratulations again !
Best Regards
---Krish
http://www.krishphoto.com
krishnan v

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:21 am

Thanks Krish, that's well rounded. BTW, we missed you during the meet.

Agree with some of your observations. About the font color on black page, we assumed and requested people to sit next to a window with good light. On a lighter note, We thought it would be too technical to say use 5000K light source :) About weight and paper, that was the main reason to split one book into three. Chose weight (160gsm fine art paper) instead of lesser weight paper alternatives for quality and feel. Other points noted.
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby Sriharsha Ganjam » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:56 am

I am down with only 1 book after 3 days. And honestly do not think I have done justice to the 1st volume itself. Its a great feeling to physically "feel" all the images I grew up with and learnt from in the digital space.
Sriharsha Ganjam

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:03 pm

Yes, Harsha, at the end of the day quality image means printing and viewing them, in particular at large sizes. Couple of days back I visited Peter Lik's gallery of very huge landscape images in Las Vegas. It is a different feeling to sit in front of large 4 feet by 10 feet prints. Unfortunately it is difficult to express what it means, it need to be felt. Now how do we say prints are different than what we see on our cell phones??
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby krishnan v » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:46 am

Thanks for the response Ganesh. I too wish I was able to attend but, given home circumstances, had to prioritise.

My earlier comment was posted after I eagerly tore through the parcel coming home late after work and in non optimal light.

Today, I did a leisurely morning "read" and in good morning sunlight.
And the only word the came out of my mouth was a popular expletive used in the context of awesomeness and wow :-)
You may choose your favourite language here ;-)

Fab fab set of classics these books. I love the cover jackets too. Superb selection. I agree on the choice of paper Ganesh. The printing details bring out the subtleties definitely. Between weight and details, I will choose details.

One question on the binding. Would it be possible to have the pages turn "flat" . Perhaps something for the next editions ?

And would it be possible to index these images on the site Volume, page number wise, so that one can get to know more of that specific image / ask the photographer
Best Regards
---Krish
http://www.krishphoto.com
krishnan v

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:18 pm

Krish, about turning pages flat, we chose what is called PUR binding for cost reasons. Stitched pages would have been more reliable but it was far more expensive. However, what we have seen is the glue has a tendency to come off at the first and last pages if we open fully. If this happens please glue it again using some better glue.

About the indexing the images at this website, yes that is a good idea! We did discuss that. We will try to complete that in the near future.

Thanks again!
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby neelu » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:25 pm

Dear Ganesh, RD, Ramesh , and the whole team / coffee table book

How does one say Thank you, for this peice of exquisite art collection, now, gracing our homes , our hearts.
For the Thought, the seed, the dream , the purpose of putting it all together
For the determination, the resolve, the selflessness , the hours, to pour over 10,000 images, in your already busy lives.
For no personal gains, agenda or motives, but for the pure joy of GIVING.
For the belief , that these images from all corners , cultures, deserve a place of pride in this fashion
For the several trials and tribulations, of decisions for paper , print, format, dry runs, proofs, traffic, backbreaking hours.
For the dogged determination , that this will be one of a kind collection, limited edition.
For the several mails , follow ups, chasing each one of us and so on and so forth.
For , making each image owner, walk tall, beam from ear to ear,be inspired, recharged, and fall in love all over again( image of course)
For being humble, accessible, encouraging, appreciative and seeing art in our littlest of experiments.
i can go on and on,
And the icing on the cake, to personally reach out and deliver the books, in the trunk of your car, to locations off your route, amidst chaotic traffic and the setting sun, with the pride and joy written all over your face... i likened it to our custom and tradition of personally handing over the wedding card invite of ones daughter, to family and freinds.
to sum it up, " what have we done to deserve this"? sounding mushy?? im sure we all are gushing,
even as i write this, the images from this book smile on ..creatively of course.

i do hope someday we can pass on forward, this effort to others in anywhich way.

Neelu
neelu

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:36 pm

Neelu, it is people like you who loves this art makes this small community! Together we live happier :)
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby nirlep » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:08 pm

Received my set 2 days back. Since then I'm in constant company of the books. The feeling is great to say the least. To see our labour of love find fulfillment through vision and hard work of Ganesh, RD and team is overwhelming and heart warming. After quickly browsing through all three volumes I'm now cataloging type of images. Almost through with volume-I which has the following break-up broadly

Color images 31
BW 39
Out of these
Art 18
Abstract 10
Conceptual 11
Creative 20
Human-Nature11

Though there aren't any rules to the above categories but just applied the little judgement I have to explore any noticeable tilt in any direction. I could find none except may be preference for BW images. Still probing further to get qualitative leads about the subjects handled, their treatment etc. I recall Michael Fay's mega-transact of the Amazonia forest. He did that just to collect data which could later be used to infer or conclude or learn. For him foremost was data. Collection of images in the three volumes appears like a mega-transact of sorts; multiple photographers passing through varied environments seeing different things differently, uniquely. Do we see the book as collection of single images or as a compendium with certain element of direction is going to be an exciting prospect and immersive experience.
In the end I have to repeat Neelu Bhat's lines that "How does one say thank you"...
nirlep

Postby AratiRao » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:41 am

Dear ganesh and team,
I have come so late to this party, but happy that i returned.

Thank you so much, Ganesh, for reaching out to me -- i had lost track of almost everything, having been on the road most of this year.

The book:
What can i say. the emotions that ran through me as I opened each volume and gazed at every page cannot be put into words. The team's tremendous effort to get everything just right shows in every inch of those books. It has been crafted with love -- a tender love -- and it shows.

CNP came into my life at a time when i was just finding my feet in photography and it gave me a way of life, a bedrock, that NO ONE ANYWHERE ELSE could've, or would've provided. The mentors on this group, the things I learned from them and from my peers, the experimentation -- the freedom to do so, and the enjoyment that came from seeing each post all have been a strong part of my growth.

For who you all are and what you have built, and for the milestone of the books, i want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart. There is so much more i am feeling right now, but words are a poor substitute. One thing i know is that I want to dip back into CNP way more often than i have been in the past 6 years.

Thank you -- all of you -- for what you/we have made together and for what you have gifted the world. The book is a three-part treasure.
Warmest regards,
Arati
AratiRao

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:27 am

Thanks, Arati. We were learning from your image posts and views too.

Krish, image index link is here!
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby ramesh_adkoli » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:50 pm

I had gifted a copy to the National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad for use by their faculty and students. Raj's son Madhav, who is studying there helped in coordinating. He has now sent photos of the book in their library:

NId.jpeg
NId.jpeg (406.7 KiB) Viewed 36438 times

NId2.jpeg
NId2.jpeg (176.07 KiB) Viewed 36438 times

NId3.jpeg
NId3.jpeg (308.19 KiB) Viewed 36438 times

Madhav's comment on the book was "It has come out very well. Very nicely presented. And I think somebody went through it because all the books were on the table"...
ramesh_adkoli

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:50 pm

Ramesh, very satisfying to see the images. Thanks for sharing. As planned I hope we will have the books in a few more institutions in the near future..
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby Sravan Kumar » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:25 pm

Firstly, my sincere thanks to Ravi Prakash for personally handing over these books, and also for his very valuable time in explaining the effort involved, the thought process behind making these books perfect and even sharing about the planning and logistics of the Launch in CNP meet which I missed this year.

These are a steal from the pricing stand point too which I want to add here. Generally it costs few thousands to buy one nice print but here we get 3 books fully loaded!
It’s not a bad idea too to collage few of these very fine prints and hang them over one’s favorite place :)

Heartfelt Thanks to all those who are involved for their best efforts from the day it was discussed (in last year CNP meet) and for the hard work sacrificing many of their weekends and making this a reality.

Congratulations on a big success too.

Thanks,
Sravan
Sravan Kumar

Postby Vikas T R » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:09 pm

I am going thru the images multiple times and feel that every time i see a new dimension in these images. Thanks to the entire team which worked on this book...

Only issue that i see is of binding and we have to glue the cover page which has come out.

Thanks
Vikas
"The art of simplicity is a puzzle of complexity."
-Vikas
PhotoGallery of Vikas
Vikas T R
Site Admin

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:23 pm

Test reply post from iPad, Safari.

Ramesh, is this the thread you wanted to post to? Seem to work for me.
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby ramesh_adkoli » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:58 pm

My friend, Narayan Hegde, a chartered accountant had purchased the Art of Seeing book. This is what he had to say after going through the book:

Quote:

I totally liked all the 3 volumes printed. After getting to know the time & dedicated efforts that have gone through in each of the photograph, I began to change my perspective to SEE.. Thank CNP members for all the well thought out captions for each of the pictures.. I'll continue to SEE whenever I can...

Sincerely,
Narayan

UnQuote
ramesh_adkoli

Return to Your Views and Suggestions to Improve CNP