2nd Print Sharing session

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

2nd Print Sharing session

Postby ramesh_adkoli » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:36 am

Dear CNPians,

We will have the next print sharing session in the first week of Mar 2019. Details on exact date and venue will follow later on.

We have more than a month to make prints and get ready for the session. Look forward to your active participation...

Regards,
Ramesh
ramesh_adkoli

Re: 2nd Print Sharing session

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:58 am

Looking forward to Ramesh! Eager to see what you have done with the new printer! If possible I will get a few prints.
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby ramesh_adkoli » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:16 pm

I haven't done much since we met last, Ganesh. I'll try to print few till we meet next. It will be great if all attendees bring few prints to the meet.
ramesh_adkoli

Postby ramesh_adkoli » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:51 pm

Let us meet on Sunday 3 Mar 2019. RD has kindly agreed to let us use his office space for this session of review.

Plan is to meet for breakfast near Banashankari/Jayanagar around 7:30-8:00AM and then continue the print review at RD's office. Of course, if there is enough interest, we can meet for a shoot at Lalbagh as well.

Looking forward to active participation...
ramesh_adkoli

Postby Prashanth Sampagar » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:13 pm

Great!
I was hoping to attend this meeting. But I can't make it for that weekend as I'll be coming to Bangalore the next weekend. I'll be missing the session once again.
Best Regards,
Prashanth
Prashanth Sampagar

My Insta feed
Prashanth Sampagar

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:48 pm

Friends, if you are in Bangalore you are welcome to attend this meeting, even if you have not got your images printed! Just a few hours on Sunday morning will be worth your time.

High quality images are to be seen as prints! We will miss a lot if we don't print them! You may even start getting small prints, may be 8x5" or above. If you get some prints made please bring them. We all will enjoy them together. Some of us may share a few insights on them too. I think Ramesh has been experimenting a lot. Ramesh will share his new collection. I have some old collection I will try to bring a few prints and will share some experience of using a varnish on canvas.

RD/Shankar/Raj, please get your print collection if possible.

Looking forward to see you all.
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby Madhav Jois » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:27 pm

Great! Thanks for finalizing the date and place. I will definitely come.
Best Regards,
Madhav
My Gallery
Madhav Jois
Site Admin

Postby Raviprakash S S » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:12 pm

Hi All,

Sounds great. I had missed earlier meet. I will try to make it this time.

Regards,
Raviprakash S S
Cheers,
Raviprakash.S.S
http://www.allEYES.in
Raviprakash S S

Postby Tharangini B » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:28 pm

I'll be there too. It was a good learning session last time and here is looking forward to gaining more knowledge. I've so far not printed any images of mine. Maybe after this session I'll make an attempt .
Tharangini B

Postby ramesh_adkoli » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:40 pm

Friends,

Please note upcoming print sharing session is rescheduled: Instead of 3 Mar, it is now advanced to 2 Mar 2019 at 2:30PM at RD's office. Hope this new schedule works to everyone's convenience. See you all there...

Regards,
Ramesh
ramesh_adkoli

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:02 pm

Thanks, Ramesh! Eagerly looking forward to..
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby ramesh_adkoli » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:33 pm

Superb session today with lots of prints (some from film days - thanks to Shankar Kiragi) to view and plenty of insightful discussions on printing, papers and processing for printing. Thanks a lot, Ganesh, Tharangini, RD, Rajkumar, Shankar Kiragi, Raviprakash, Mahesh Devarajan, and Nitin Bharadwaj for active participation. In addition, we had a surprise work in progress artwork to view and review too. We will let the artist to reveal at their choice of time what that surprise is. Manjunath of PrntGallery, a fine art printer based in Bangalore joined briefly too.

Overall a great session. Thanks all again.
ramesh_adkoli

Postby Prashanth Sampagar » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:24 pm

Great! I missed it again. We need to find a way to share the prints with people who are not staying in Bangalore :)

Regards,
Prashanth
Prashanth Sampagar

My Insta feed
Prashanth Sampagar

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:34 pm

It was a great informal meet! Lots of learning. We had an opportunity see all fine art media by Hahnemule and how a print would look like on all those media!! This was very revealing. Thanks, Ramesh!! Ramesh took us through his experiments. It is a long and rewarding journey. We can't afford to make all the mistakes ourselves while learning the print process. We need to learn from others' mistakes too! We shared some of our mistakes for everyone to learn. What is good with a print and what is wrong etc. etc. A very rewarding experience indeed!

The first look at a draft upcoming book by one of the CNPian looked awesome! Like Ramesh, let me keep the secret :) I hope to see the final print 6 months from now. It is a very bold, challenging and artistic creation in the making! Let us wait for the final print. We went through the draft copy and shared some of our suggestions.

Here are a few snippets from the informal meet we had at RD's office in Bangalore.

1.jpg
1.jpg (452.79 KiB) Viewed 13597 times

2.jpg
2.jpg (360.16 KiB) Viewed 13597 times

Analysing prints..

RD and Shankar showed us some of their collection of very very old cameras. Some of those were very interesting! Overall it was a very rewarding meet.

As I understand the next print sharing meeting will be lead by Rajkumar, 3 months from now (probably during 1st week of June).

Waiting for the next one!!
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby Nevil Zaveri » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:20 am

I am too far, regret missing many learning opportunities. Do keep sharing your experiences.
Ramesh, kindly share your printer's model n machine handling experience too.

Regards.
Nevil Zaveri

Postby ramesh_adkoli » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:41 am

Nevil,

We were actually discussing during the last session that may be you can courier few prints (A4 size will be good enough) and then join us over phone to discuss your prints. After the session we will courier your images back. Feasible?

Now coming to my printing:

Printer: I use Epson SureColor P807 (P800 elsewhere in the world) printer. It can print a max of A2 size sheets. By buying an option roller attachment, I can use 17 in wide paper/canvas rolls too. So far, I have printed several photographs. While the early effort went in understanding the difference between what I see on the monitor and what I see on the print, now I have fairly good handle on getting prints that I'm looking for. As always, it does take couple of tries still.

Paper: I started with Epson Archival Matte paper. I used this for both color and B&W prints. Then I got hold of Hanhemule papers: Fine Art Baryta (white, glossy) and Photo Rag Baryta (offwhite, glossy). Prints on these papers have entirely different feel. I'm thoroughly enjoying printing on these papers. Now, I'm reserving my stock of Epson Archival Matte for soft toned color prints. I have a sampler packet of various different papers from MOAB. I'm yet to try them.

Printing software (RIP): I use Photoshop CS6/Epson RIP for printing color photos and QuadTone RIP (QTR) for printing B&W photos. QTR is a tiny third party software that gives fantastic results for B&W printing.

Regards,
Ramesh
ramesh_adkoli

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography