Motif - creation

We often suggest changes to posted images. If we want to take some time to illustrate the changes then users can post and discuss the the changed image here. PLEASE TAKE CONSENT FROM THE POSTER BEFORE YOU DOWNLOAD/EDIT OtHERS' IMAGES. Please keep files sizes small - preferablly less than 650pixels on longer side.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Raviprakash S S, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

Motif - creation

Postby ramesh_adkoli » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:13 am

This is the Picture ke Peeche info for the Motif image I posted on Monthly Theme.

I took this using a 100mm Macro lens wide open at f2. As you can see, as I kept de-focusing the subject, strong patterns started emerging. I experimented with the angle and de-focus and settled down on the one I shared. I do not know the science behind this: is it to do with the optics of the lens? Is it light playing tricks? Or something else? No idea.

If you can throw any light (pun intended) on this effect, please share.

Regards,
Ramesh

PS: I'm not able to add an image here at present. Please follow this link for the reference image: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ramesh_adkoli/32511983357
ramesh_adkoli

Re: Motif - creation

Postby CNP Staff » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:32 pm

Ramesh, due to server software upgrade we are forced to tweak some of our code. I have made many changes. I think image upload needed some change.
I think I have fixed it. We still have some functionality broken. If you see any issue please cut paste the error.
Regards,
CNP Staff
CNP Staff

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:14 pm

Ramesh, it should work now. Attaching the image..

[attachment=0]Motif.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Motif.jpg
Motif.jpg (198.73 KiB) Viewed 6869 times
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby ramesh_adkoli » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:29 pm

Thanks, Ganesh and CNP Team
ramesh_adkoli

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:58 pm

Ramesh,

This probably will answer your question.

https://lenspire.zeiss.com/photo/app/up ... 010-EN.pdf
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby ramesh_adkoli » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:51 am

Thanks Ganesh. Still not sure whether it is the lens that creates these patterns.

I wanted to explore the creation of those patterns some more. I went back yesterday to these palm trees at Lalbagh. I set up the camera and looked through the viewfinder. To my surprise, no patterns emerged. All I could see were those straight stripes. I tried different setups. Nothing. Nada. I was wondering what went wrong. Then, at one angle, I had to turn on the live view. Lo! Behold! Those patterns reappeared! I looked through the viewfinder again. Nothing!

What was causing those patterns? Large number of pixels on the D850's sensor? I wanted to validate that. I went back today with my D500 (20MP sensor). Patterns were there here as well. Intriguing. Now what?
ramesh_adkoli

Return to Illustration Forum