Alternative Compositions

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

Alternative Compositions

Postby Santosh Saligram » Tue May 27, 2008 1:26 pm

When one is confronted with multiple choices of composition, choosing one among the images created becomes difficult, especially when the choice is between a vertical scape and a horizontal one. Because an amateur photographer like me finds it somewhat difficult to be entirely objective and ruthless about shortlisting pictures, it would be helpful to have an outside perspective which may help in having some pointers to choose between photos. My own personal assessment here is that the horizontal scape is more orderly and serene while that very fact makes it a little bland. The vertical composition has a lot of chaotic elements but also looks more dramatic. Would love to know your thoughts on this!
vulture scape vertical.jpg
The vertical scape has more chaotic elements but looks more dramatic in my opinion. What do you think?
vulture scape vertical.jpg (184.49 KiB) Viewed 8868 times
vulture scape.jpg
The horizontal scape is less imposing and more serene. Which of the two appeals more to you?
vulture scape.jpg (226.25 KiB) Viewed 8869 times
Santosh Saligram

Re: Alternative Compositions

Postby Gowri S » Tue May 27, 2008 4:34 pm

I prefer the horizontal frame because of the simplicity of the composition. Not just is there too much chaos in the vertical frame, the vulture too has looked away making the image look pointless. In the horizontal frame the vulture is looking towards the left where there is a lot of space. So this image has more life in it.
Gowri S

Postby Mahesh Devarajan » Tue May 27, 2008 6:11 pm

Interestingly Santosh, I like the vertical composition :) The vertical composition in this case to me brings out a "scale" which seems to be missing in the horizontal composition. I love the massiveness of the rock with the vulture habitat as one element in it.
Mahesh Devarajan

Postby Aditya Singh » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:55 pm

Santosh,

I would go with the vertical. The horizontal one is a bit boring and this is purely a personal opinion.
A lot of people keep saying that there is only one rule for composition - that there are no rules. But somehow whenever I follow this it does not work :( specially when I am shooting wildlife. Still subjects give you enough time to compose but moving one almost never do. With moving subjects I don't even think much and just end up doing what comes first to my head. With a lot of practice it does start working out. For instance I can compose fairly well in Ranthambhore (where I do most of my shooting) but I am not so good in other reserves.
Like we shot shoot fast and repent at ease.
Aditya "Dicky" Singh
Aditya Singh

Postby krishnan v » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:28 pm

What works here for the vertical is you can see the spoke like three distinct streak textures due to the light hitting the rock wall.

In the Landscape version. this is missed and also there is a lot of negative space towards the left which somehow doesn't add much to this image.
Best Regards
---Krish
http://www.krishphoto.com
krishnan v

Postby sharon333 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:12 pm

I prefer the first picture as well. Brings out more dimensions in the rocks.
Trying to find some black metal picture frames.
sharon333

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography