Mood - Is it possible to create ?

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

Mood - Is it possible to create ?

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:28 pm

peafowls_jump2.jpg
peafowls_jump2.jpg (197.77 KiB) Viewed 6383 times

When we see certain image we instantly say the image is very moody. What makes an image moody ? Is it possible to create mood ? Is it possible to recognize mood when we see a subject we want to photograph ? May be asking these questions and find our own answers may help us in making better such images.

Like to share your views ?
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Re: Mood - Is it possible to create ?

Postby Pramod Viswanath » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:23 pm

Very true! Sometimes we are under the control of converting the mood to pixels with right techniques and sometimes, no matter how strong we are in out technical aspects of photography, it becomes next to impossible in capturing those moments interlaced with the exact mood and emotions we experienced.

I guess, human emotions are so complex that wemas photographersm tend to fail to convert them to an image if not always, at least most of the times! :?
Pramod Viswanath
Frames from wild | My Blog
Our only limitation is imagination !
Pramod Viswanath

Postby Shivakumar L Narayan » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:02 pm

Wiki Says:
A mood is a relatively long lasting, affective or emotional state. Moods differ from simple emotions in that they are less specific, often less intense, less likely to be triggered by a particular stimulus or event, and longer lasting.

Most of the time i see it as the images which trigger the emotional factor as a moody image. These are some of the images which when you see changes your mental perspective instantaneously.

All of us come across such scene in day to day life -- but bringing the scene into pixels is a really tough task and real involvement of the photographer is required than the technical capabilities of the equipment.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shiv | +91 97390 36563 | www.shivakumar.net | twitter | facebook | instagram | youtube
Shivakumar L Narayan

Postby sanjeev » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:23 pm

The closest analogy to what most people mean by a moody image is probably like listening to a blues number or maybe Pt.Jasraj singing Gujari Todi. It is not very difficult to make an image and pin a mood onto it. We describe dark clouds as moody.
I would like to stretch this moody aspect a little further. There are many more moods. Happiness, sadness, joy, ennui despondency are also moods. the nice feeling I get on a warm day after a great lunch is also a mood. Music is very good at expressing the artist's mood. Our ragas are built on moods and they can build moods in listners. It is not very difficult to create a romantic mood by playing appropriate music.

What I am leading to is the question Can a photographer express his mood?
The image of the peacocks conveys a very bluesy mood to me. Can you recompose or shoot the same scene differently to express joy. May be the image already conveys joy to some viewers. Or lets say can it convey a sense of fear?

If you can successfully do that, then without doubt mood can be created.
sanjeev

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography