A Cenotaphic and Abstract Series: Draupadi and the Pandavas

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

A Cenotaphic and Abstract Series: Draupadi and the Pandavas

Postby Ghanshyam Savani » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:31 am

A Cenotaphic and Abstract Series on Draupadi and the Pandavas

We have quite a good deal of examples of portrayal and description of various Mahabharata episodes available in our tradition of sculptures, scriptures and paintings. We also have a tradition to pay homage to martyrs who sacrificed their lives for the sake of protection and defense for their casts, creeds and religions over the period of times in the form of cenotaphic carvings on stones, woods and various types of metals. We remember them with great reverence and we pay our homage…..

I have visualized a series in the form of abstraction to depict Draupadi and the Pandavas using aerial roots of various banyan trees. I have tried to anthropomorphize these ancient historic characters of the great epic the Mahabharata here in this series.

Image...A cenotaph of Dharmaraja Yudhisthira, an adept warrior with the Spear... by Ghanshyam Savani, on Flickr

(Dharmaraj Yudhishthira, in the above abstraction I see the body-language like that of a spear thrower and long handed embodied personality metaphorically portrays his pious and religious being as he is known as Dharmaraj.)

Image...महाबली भीम: Mighty Bhima... by Ghanshyam Savani, on Flickr

(Strong shouldered)

Image...A Cenotaph of Arjuna, the Great Archer... by Ghanshyam Savani, on Flickr

(The great archer)

Image...Nakula and Sahadeva: the Pandava Brothers... by Ghanshyam Savani, on Flickr

(Sahdeva and Nakula are depicted as the most handsome twins, veterinarians and warriors. No other idiosyncratic identification is annotated with their personalities as is annotated with other brothers- Yudhishthira, Bhima and Arjuna to portray their identity in tradition after tradition. Here, with Sahdeva and Nakula, to create their abstract identity, only related captions and relevant description is at a help. When entire series is taken into consideration, I think the same works for my inclined perception to visualize Sahdeva and Nakula through this diptych image.)

Image...an abstract of Draupadi, during Vastraharan... by Ghanshyam Savani, on Flickr

Image...Yatri: Draupadi with Pandavas... by Ghanshyam Savani, on Flickr

(Thus losers in the deceitful act of gambling, and insulted by Kauravas, the Pandavas with Draupadi started for their exile in forest.)

Thanks and regards...
Ghanshyam Savani

Re: A Cenotaphic and Abstract Series: Draupadi and the Panda

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:50 am

An interesting series Ghanshyam, well anthropomorphized. The human form is apparent. I like the abstraction of Draupadi with Pandavas of all! Thanks for sharing.
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography