Comments, Please...

This forum is dedicated for discussions related to features of CNP. All suggestions are welcome!! We may not be able address all of them nevertheless.

Moderators: Madhav Jois, Vikas T R, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N

Comments, Please...

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:44 pm

Friends,

Please help your friends by sharing a line or two of honest views. When you post an image for others' views please take time to write your thoughts on 3 other images of your friends'.
While we do our best to share our thoughts to help you relying only on CNP staff for comments will make the forum very weak.

Thanks for your support.
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Re: Comments, Please...

Postby nirlep » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:29 pm

Commenting as learning

many people think that commenting is an activity totally severed from that of making images. It is not so. Every time we make a comment we subconsciously visit and critique our own creative process. Initially we will comment about colour, contrast, composition etc. And then we reach a point where we don't know what to point out, what to say, and that's almost our creative threshold. Slowly by reading comments we imbibe, as also by seeing others pictures. Sometimes the picture has something of which we come to know through others comments. And this happens with me very often. Very often a picture opens me up to a different dimension through comments of other photographers.
Writing on others pictures is an act of editing our own thoughts about how to approach a visual; be it reading or creating one. The process is beautiful as one discovers new aspects like mood, color temperatures and their emotional appeal, cultural contexts of images, how images link us to dreams, myths, history, how they evoke and ignite. The more one comments the more one interacts the more he or she would grow. This is true in majority of cases.
So guys comment comment and comment, for as much as we our self wait for one we must remember that the other too does. The picture is not completed after clicking and posting. It gets completed when the photographer knows it has or it hasn't made an impact that it was intended to. Let's complete each others pictures by engaging. Engaging deeply, passionately, compassionately, objectively.
nirlep

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:54 pm

You did better justice to this request Nirlep. Well said ! Thanks..
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby AratiRao » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:01 pm

beautifully expressed, nirlep. simply beautiful.

indeed, the strength here is the interactivity and that is of course enhanced by sharing our thoughts. as a relatively new entrant on CNP i must say my own thinking has become much more conscious and deliberate, and my action (of pressing/releasing the shutter) much more thoughtful and restrained. I dont know if that is good or bad or a phase. my images will tell. But much of that change has come from hearing from you guys, and listening to you all comment on each others' images. and it is a wonderful echo (sometimes) of what i am thinking or a completely different point of view which makes me go a-ha! i for one will be more diligent in engaging, for - as you said, it is as much for me as it is for the poster.

:)a
AratiRao

Postby Radha » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:52 pm

Nirlep - What you said is so perfect! Every time I've gone tongue tied without knowing what to comment, it has turned out to be an image that just does not work for me, or it is something way high above my creative threshold. Either way, I end up going back to the image so many times, the self-learning in the process is incredible!

Thank you for elucidating this so well! And thank you Ganesh for bringing up this discussion.

I am going to participate more actively going forward :)

~radha
Radha Rangarajan
My Blog ~ Flickr
Radha

Postby Nevil Zaveri » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:54 pm

Very well said Nirlep, Arati 'n Radha. Apart from that, I think 'comment/critic' is the best thing we can give to our fellow artists ... Genuine words from our heart is the most wonderful thing we can give ... a way to thank 'n salute him for sharing his wonderful work. It helps the artist feel, 'seen'!

Regards.
Nevil Zaveri

Return to Your Views and Suggestions to Improve CNP