Thoughts on Image description

This forum is dedicated for discussions related to features of CNP. All suggestions are welcome!! We may not be able address all of them nevertheless.

Moderators: Madhav Jois, Vikas T R, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N

Thoughts on Image description

Postby Mahesh Devarajan » Tue May 27, 2008 6:03 pm

Hi CNP team,
After looking at the initial set of images and the pattern of comments flowing in one thought that occurred to me was when the image is being uploaded instead of asking for image description it might be better to ask for "Why does the author think the image is creative".
1. This would allow the poster to elaborate on what is the aspect that appealed to him/her. ( Even with the current framework some images already have this )
2. Gives a chance for the viewers to appreciate the perspective
3. Would also make all the images aligned to the original vision of the forum.

My 2 cents

Thanks
Mahesh
Mahesh Devarajan

Re: Thoughts on Image description

Postby CNP Staff » Thu May 29, 2008 2:50 pm

Hi Mahesh,

Thanks for the suggestion. In fact the original intention of the field ‘description’ was also to write the view of the photographer about why does he/she thinks the image is creative or what is the factor that sets this image apart or what is it according to him/her which makes this image different. We think it would be appropriate to state this explicitly in our ‘Posting Guidelines’.
Regards,
CNP Staff
CNP Staff

Postby Ravi Maganti » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:49 pm

To add my bit:

In the normal way of doing things when the image meets the guidelines, the poster is safe. But should the image be out of specification for some reason, the title and the description vanishes and so does all the effort that was put into coming up with or cooking the story behind the scene :P

Is is possible to separate uploading the image from describing it? I would prefer to describe the image later.

Thanks,
Ravi
Ravi Maganti

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:12 pm

Ravi Maganti wrote:To add my bit:

In the normal way of doing things when the image meets the guidelines, the poster is safe. But should the image be out of specification for some reason, the title and the description vanishes and so does all the effort that was put into coming up with or cooking the story behind the scene :P

Is is possible to separate uploading the image from describing it? I would prefer to describe the image later.

Thanks,
Ravi

Ravi, I think that would be chicked-and-egg problem. It may be difficult for viewers to comment on the image without sufficient information. Going by the stats so far, the number of images that are not appropriate is not substantial. Shall we hope members will
get the pulse in some time ? I think going by the images posted it is already happening. Sure there will be some confusions for new comers but hopefully our posting guidelines and best rated images will make it clear. That said, if one wants upload an image without any info they can still do that - personally I don't think it is a good idea.
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Return to Your Views and Suggestions to Improve CNP