Srini's image of Lions....My Attempt

We often suggest changes to posted images. If we want to take some time to illustrate the changes then users can post and discuss the the changed image here. PLEASE TAKE CONSENT FROM THE POSTER BEFORE YOU DOWNLOAD/EDIT OtHERS' IMAGES. Please keep files sizes small - preferablly less than 650pixels on longer side.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Raviprakash S S, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

Srini's image of Lions....My Attempt

Postby Nilanjan Das » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:46 pm

Srini shared his high res jpeg image of the Two lions with me. I wanted to try and process this one.....the problem is I could not keep the clouds and the sky as can be seen in his image but I tried to recompose the image giving importance to the sun burst, the spots and the lions. Am attaching for your views.
Attachments
SRINI bw2A.jpg
SRINI bw2A.jpg (195.79 KiB) Viewed 6553 times
Nilanjan Das

Re: Srini's image of Lions....My Attempt

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:57 pm

Far better Nilanjan ! I think images like this are joy to process. I think there are several possibilities here. We can even retain the original pano retaining emphasis on the landscape and retaining the details at the sunrise (or sunset?) point.

Srini, with your permission, here is another version (I did not have the high resolution file, just took what was posted by you).

srini_proc.jpg
srini_proc.jpg (227.39 KiB) Viewed 6487 times

I think images like are the best candidates for learning and appreciating nuances of post processing in B&W - how to carefully manage different tones, manage depth, burning/dodging etc... This is what Ansel Adams excelled in.

It is an interesting challenge to make prints of images like this. I would love to see what Raj could end up with ! B&W print making experience of Raj can add a lot here.
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Postby Nilanjan Das » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:23 am

Ahh :-), there you go...THE MASTER....I had told Srini that if you get the original RAW file, then the image would become a magic. Yeah, after I posted the previous one, I really thought of playing around with it more. I retained the clouds and the sky here...this one is nearly the original size that Srini had sent me. What do you think buddy ? working ?? Creates another mood no ??
Attachments
SRINI Two Brothers BW2B.jpg
SRINI Two Brothers BW2B.jpg (199.45 KiB) Viewed 6526 times
Nilanjan Das

Postby drpsrinivasan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:46 am

Ganesh & Nilanjan,

Thanks a ton. I am glad taking the image was easier than making it right during PP. Ganesh, I was laughing to myself this morning - One image (tiger) - you felt you had nothing to do and now another you have everything to do!!! I am waiting to see the different versions. Off today to Corbett and will post another version after my return. I am glad for one thing - my longest lens now is 300 mm!!!

Cheers Guys.

Srini
drpsrinivasan

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:54 am

Yes, it does Nilanjan. I think the challenge is to maintain proportional light on lions and surroundings compared to emanating rays at the backdrop an interesting processing challenge..
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Return to Illustration Forum