Does wording impact perception of an image ?

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

Does wording impact perception of an image ?

Postby krishnan v » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:30 am

A thought came to mind this morning....

I saw an exhibition of B&W pics on "Corridors" some years ago with my wife and another lady friend of hers. I mention the ladies specifically since I noted { noticed from the guest register ( not scientific at all, just an observation)}a lot of the female gender loved the images. The pictures and the prints were mostly technically average and somehow didn't seem to impress me much. The presentation was top notch and the captioning had the ladies pretty much oohing and ahhaing on, what I thought was a pretty average shot. Overall impression very very successful exhibition.

Question 1. How does the captioning affect the views on an image ?

Question 2. Is such influencing acceptable ?

Question 3. If so how and when would you want to do so ?
Best Regards
---Krish
http://www.krishphoto.com
krishnan v

Re: Does wording impact perception of an image ?

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:31 pm

krishnan v wrote:A thought came to mind this morning....

I saw an exhibition of B&W pics on "Corridors" some years ago with my wife and another lady friend of hers. I mention the ladies specifically since I noted { noticed from the guest register ( not scientific at all, just an observation)}a lot of the female gender loved the images. The pictures and the prints were mostly technically average and somehow didn't seem to impress me much. The presentation was top notch and the captioning had the ladies pretty much oohing and ahhaing on, what I thought was a pretty average shot. Overall impression very very successful exhibition.

Question 1. How does the captioning affect the views on an image ?

Question 2. Is such influencing acceptable ?

Question 3. If so how and when would you want to do so ?

Krish,

Depending up on the subject I guess it may be possible to have women liking them more than men. Recently I saw some poll results where in statistically more women felt women are better drivers than men compared to male population's vote. I also tend to think captions add to the image often (you may look at Nirvair's captions).

Is such influence acceptable ? Acceptable to whom ? personally I don't care. Also, captions can play the subtle role of self critic - expressing in a word or two our interpretation of the image - just my thoughts.
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography