Ratings and Comments ...

This forum is dedicated for discussions related to features of CNP. All suggestions are welcome!! We may not be able address all of them nevertheless.

Moderators: Madhav Jois, Vikas T R, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N

Ratings and Comments ...

Postby AAA » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:04 pm

hi,

i just felt that ratings and comments should not be independent.
A rating should be accompanied by at least a comment telling... "... this is y i felt it as a 9/10 image or 1/10 image". or the user can just say... "ok i just felt this is a 9/10 image"
This i feel, will bring more credibility to the rating system.
just some thoughts. was it decided before to make ratings and comments delinked... ? then its ok. :D

Regards
Anoop
AAA

Re: Ratings and Comments ...

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:42 am

AAA wrote:hi,

i just felt that ratings and comments should not be independent.
A rating should be accompanied by at least a comment telling... "... this is y i felt it as a 9/10 image or 1/10 image". or the user can just say... "ok i just felt this is a 9/10 image"
This i feel, will bring more credibility to the rating system.
just some thoughts. was it decided before to make ratings and comments delinked... ? then its ok. :D

Regards
Anoop

Anoop,

We have used a gallery software module for the forum (you can see the link at the bottom) which at present has this kind of rating system. The choice we have is either to disable it or enable it. Merging the rating and comments is not a feature in this software. I agree with you that it is desirable we justify our rating with comments. Some of us try our level best to give honest feedback for most of the images posted. But as the number of images increases it may not be practicle for all of us to provide feedback on every image while the rating is only a click away. The rating system in the current software is designed to be confidential - even to admins of the forums - So mandating/suggesting explicit stating of the rating may also decrease the credibility of the rating. I think that will lead to inflation of the rating :)

As along as we are true to ourself I believe this should work. We all have our own standards to rate an image (that is why we have a suggestions for ratings to normalize this). Yes, I agree with you adding our honest views will help better our visions and images. Wish we all have time to add a line or two for each of the images posted..

- Regards,
Ganesh H Shankar.
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Re: Ratings and Comments ...

Postby AAA » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:35 pm

The rating system in the current software is designed to be confidential - even to admins of the forums - So mandating/suggesting explicit stating of the rating may also decrease the credibility of the rating. I think that will lead to inflation of the rating

true true ... thats the another side of the coin !! :D

thanks Ganesh !!

Regards,
Anoop
AAA

Return to Your Views and Suggestions to Improve CNP