Worries about sharing larger images ?

This forum is dedicated for discussions related to features of CNP. All suggestions are welcome!! We may not be able address all of them nevertheless.

Moderators: Madhav Jois, Vikas T R, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N

Worries about sharing larger images ?

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Sat May 16, 2009 8:17 am

This topic is not about creative aspect of nature photography. We often end up commenting on probable visual impact of the larger versions of the posted image. So, I want to share some of my thoughts on this topic.

We often see friends sharing very small images with the fear of image theft by folks on net. We see in this in this forum as well as in other forums. Here are my thoughts on why posting a very small version (~550 pixels or less) is not at all a good idea (not only for CNP, for any web forum or for your own website) -

1. Small sized images very often lack visual impact. Web is the only media using which you can reach large population of people.
People want to see the best, so share your best. Not sharing larger versions does more harm than the good for yourself.

antlion_gd1.jpg
antlion_gd1.jpg (83.24 KiB) Viewed 6468 times

antlion_gd1.jpg
antlion_gd1.jpg (238.71 KiB) Viewed 6467 times

Isn't it evident that smaller version hides subtle nuances of an image ? Don't our image needs be seen at its best ? One thing to keep in mind is smaller versions of our images don't appeal not only to image thieves but also to genuine viewers and even potential buyers of our images . Personally I believe world is made up largely of good people.

2. Web images can't be used for making large fine prints.

The larger version of the web image above is 756pixel in its longest side. Resolution needed for web is typically far lesser compared to resolution needed for making a fine print. Images need to be typically printed at 300dpi to make fine prints. The biggest size of the nice print I can make out of the above posted larger version is this below -

antlion_gd1_print.jpg
antlion_gd1_print.jpg (59.42 KiB) Viewed 6467 times

Do you now worry your web images will be used to make nice prints ? I wouldn't.

3. Large signatures, water marks spoil the image.

Again my personal view - image is more important than our signature on it. If we are inserting a large water mark on our image it spoils
the viewing pleasure. My belief being larger water marks adversely impact only genuine viewers and not image thieves .

Normally I keep my image size around 700 to 800pixels depending on where all I want to share them beyond my own website. Typically photo forums have size restrictions around 700-800pixels on its longest side. This restriction is mainly governed by storage space at hosting site. In CNP we keep it at 800 pixels to help people share their best work. Another well known photo forum which I am member of has recently made a provision to share even larger versions (upto 1200 pixels). So the trend is towards seeing larger images on the display.

Bottomline, we spend lots of time in nature and field and try very hard to make some striking images. They deserve to be seen at its best by folks on the net. The number of people you can reach via print exhibitions is negligible compared to the audience you can reach through the web. Personally I believe sharing larger version does more good than harm. Atleast that is what my experience says sharing larger versions of all of my images on my website so far.

And your thoughts ?......
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Re: Worries about sharing larger images ?

Postby Nevil Zaveri » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:21 pm

thank you, ganeshji. i agree with you, completely. if there's a way, i would not mind replacing previous images with larger ones.

regards.
nevil zaveri
Nevil Zaveri

Postby krishnan v » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:46 am

Also Ganesh, saving to 96 dpi and not 72 dpi , also helps in bringing out the fine details.
Best Regards
---Krish
http://www.krishphoto.com
krishnan v

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:01 am

Krish, you found an old thread to comment on ? Good :)

Later we increased the limit further. People can now share images with 1000 pixels on larger size (which is creating an alignment issue on smaller resolution display, which we hope to look at it soon but works very well on 1200pixel width resolution).

Regarding the comment on 96dpi vs 72dpi - it does not matter. You can save it at 1 dpi too, it all remains same. When dpi matters is when you fire the image on to a printer or see the image at "print size" on display.
On screen 800 x 600 pixels is 800 x 600 pixels irrespective of 96dpi or 72dpi or 1dpi. DPI is relevant only for printing.
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Return to Your Views and Suggestions to Improve CNP