'Desert' image by Gururaja : Some re-crop tries

We often suggest changes to posted images. If we want to take some time to illustrate the changes then users can post and discuss the the changed image here. PLEASE TAKE CONSENT FROM THE POSTER BEFORE YOU DOWNLOAD/EDIT OtHERS' IMAGES. Please keep files sizes small - preferablly less than 650pixels on longer side.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Raviprakash S S, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

'Desert' image by Gururaja : Some re-crop tries

Postby Kaushik Balakumar » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:51 pm

The original image was made by Gururaja - found here.

Image below is the re-crop:

I was just trying out an alternative crop to remove couple of thorns for few reasons:
1) The thorns on the left of the image were clipped (in the original). Hence I thought of removing them altogether.
2) The foreground (or FG) in focus thorn could get better prominence/importance if the total number of elements cud be reduced hence bringing the viewer's eye to the in-focus-thorn in FG.
3) By cropping from left we would also be 'off-centering' the main in-focus FG thorn (it comes to the left). The FG thorn wud then be 'sitting' on the thirds' intersection point making a better visual impact.

This illustration is just an idea. May be some minor adjustments wud make it better...

I have not made any corrections to the contrast. Some playing around with channel mixer (for B&W conversion) might make it look better. Since the image was already in gray scale, I could not adjust the individual colours (in B&W mode).

These were totally my personal opinion. Would be interesting in knowing your thoughts on this...

regards,
Kaushik
Regards,
Kaushik
website | facebook | blog
Kaushik Balakumar

Re: 'Desert' image by Gururaja : Some re-crop tries

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:39 pm

Dear Kaushik,
You people are just amazing. Thanks for making my image look better, I will keep this in mind for my next image. Thanks again for your efforts in making me understand these intricacies of photography.

Return to Illustration Forum