Exposure with light meter..

We often suggest changes to posted images. If we want to take some time to illustrate the changes then users can post and discuss the the changed image here. PLEASE TAKE CONSENT FROM THE POSTER BEFORE YOU DOWNLOAD/EDIT OtHERS' IMAGES. Please keep files sizes small - preferablly less than 650pixels on longer side.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Raviprakash S S, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

Exposure with light meter..

Postby Ashok Mansur » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:07 am

When I expose the Hornbill using Sekonic L-308S light meter on my D300s it gives 2 step under expo, where as on D3s it was -1/4 step. I would like to know, which is correct expo as using LM gives above expo on D300s giving details of the bright colors of the bird, enlighten your views on this.
Attachments
GIHLScnp.jpg
GIHLScnp.jpg (95.69 KiB) Viewed 3206 times
Ashok Mansur

Re: Exposure with light meter..

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:21 am

Ashok,

Light meter measures the incident light and is extremely accurate. Camera's meter (matrix) works based on reflected light and several approximations. In images like this which where you have your main interest in the frame covers a very small region with predominantly dark/white domination camera's meter often over/under expose (depending on black/white regions).

Hope this is clear. If you have further doubts please send us a mail - we will be glad to respond. We would like to limit technical discussions here.
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Return to Illustration Forum