Meditations of another Kind on Vipin Baliga's image

We often suggest changes to posted images. If we want to take some time to illustrate the changes then users can post and discuss the the changed image here. PLEASE TAKE CONSENT FROM THE POSTER BEFORE YOU DOWNLOAD/EDIT OtHERS' IMAGES. Please keep files sizes small - preferablly less than 650pixels on longer side.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Raviprakash S S, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

Meditations of another Kind on Vipin Baliga's image

Postby nirlep » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:14 pm

Meditations of another kind
on
Vipin Baliga's "Life is beautiful"
Image of the month at CNP for Feb 2012

life is beautiful.jpg
Life is beautiful, by Vipin Baliga
life is beautiful.jpg (85.88 KiB) Viewed 7490 times

“What you see in the picture are the green lacewing eggs…Photographed after around 25 hrs since the eggs were laid…If you look carefully you can see the semi developed lacewing midge inside each egg…They are all in the typical fetus position…You can also see the tiny dark spot inside, which is the eye..!!” Vipin Baliga

A vocalist takes alap and plays with syllable-less sound before moving into raga’ proper. “Life is beautiful” is a visual analog of alap; slow, steady, stringed with hope. Things are in a state of patient arrival. There is no haste. Deepest truths are often understood through silence. Vipin while presenting the shot hallmarked it with understatement. He kept away everything from the final image which could grab undue attention of the viewer. The contrast, color, tones, sharpness all attention seeking markers were doused with/through adept judgment of the scene. In his own words “I chose b/w to keep the frame as simple and minimal as possible and also not to add a color element into the frame which I thought would grab the attention of any viewer away from the curved silk strands.I was photographing the eggs with no intention of thinking about anything creative. Documenting the miracle of life is all that I had in my mind then. I was waiting for the eggs to hatch, uncertain how many days it would take, or if at all they would ever hatch”

I’ll admit that initially the color version appealed to me as the right candidate for post because translucent pink on egg shells was characteristic of life and birth. I later realized that the color version belonged more to the domain of scientific/clinical enquiry. The act of doing away with color reduces its visual load. It also moves it from the realm of the particular to the symbolic. Doing away with color has made the image emblematic of the process.

IMG_6468-cnp-color800.JPG
Life is beautiful- color version
IMG_6468-cnp-color800.JPG (64.69 KiB) Viewed 7490 times

There is something profound going on here. We are looking at the genesis; a phenomenon perfected over millennia of evolution. The image of a phenomenon as this must be free of pretentions or amplification simply because of the intrinsic faith it has in itself.

The next notable attribute of the picture is its lightness in terms of forms and their interconnectedness. Some capillaries are bent more than the others. It could be due photographer’s breath. The eggs and the silken capillaries are both rounded. There is a sense of completeness about a round shape which is not contingent. It is complete in itself. It exudes peace. In going round itself it doesn’t show spatial preference. Eggs resting on capillaries appear to be weightless, in balance. There is no tension neither a possibility of collapse; such is the lightness with which the egg attaches itself to the capillary. Just look at the point of junction where capillary attaches to the egg. A tiny halo marks each attachment. I reckon it plays the same part as sepal in a flower; of protecting the flower before it opens. A slight pre-occupation with photo-shop could’ve marred the tenuousness of linkages.

There’s an aroma in the shot which comes from the forms resembling tulip buds. It’s remarkable how the circular shape is the most preferred shape of life forms. Indian ethos has a special place for a circle. “Bhugol” for earth, “Khagol” for space, Hiranyagarabha the womb of light as the primordial womb from where our universe springs and folds back into. Miraculously a few millimeters of unseen space on a 8.5 feet high wall carries echoes of the macrocosm.
I’m sure the alap moved into Raga and Vipin heard it for all of us.

Nirlep Singh
nirlep

Re: Meditations of another Kind on Vipin Baliga's image

Postby vipinbaliga » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:42 am

Wow.... I sure was not prepared for this...
Very beautiful and enjoyable write-up dear Nirlep... I really enjoyed every word of it... :-)

It has certainly added a zest of life and excitement to this picture.
It just made this picture more interesting for everyone...
I cant thank you enough. :-)

Regards
vipinbaliga

Postby Nevil Zaveri » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:20 am

absolutely artistic presentation of science, enriched with words of nirlep. indeed, one of the finest image ever seen .. so deeply 'n intellectually documenting the life.

kindly take my bow, vipin 'n nirlep.
regards.
Nevil Zaveri

Postby Manoj » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:27 am

the subtle words of yours gave so much power to the image Nirlep.. This also spreads a wonderful message of being grateful in small things which life offer us.
After reading your description and going into the image , about Hiranyagarba and the life in the egg, it clearly relates to what our vedas say ' there are worlds in worlds'
This image is perfect example for that..
Thanks Vipin and Nirlep for making an image :)
Manoj

Postby nirlep » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:51 am

Dear Manoj, Nevil, Vipin,

Thanks for your words.
Vipin I believe each image is an epic. The visual conjured up by one frame can only be meditated upon because it is open to so many interpretations. I could grasp a tiny bit of the true import of your image which Manoj has rightly placed "worlds within worlds". Yes your image was that and more.
Nevil while reading "about looking" by John berger there was a portion which emphasized the importance of words in contextualizing images. Images release dreams. Post-dream, locating its foot-print is as interesting and adventurous as a treasure hunt. Images of all the wonderful photographers here send me on a trip. And I want it to last for a long time.

Thanks once again
nirlep

Return to Illustration Forum