Nilanjan's image: re-crop + monochrome attempt

We often suggest changes to posted images. If we want to take some time to illustrate the changes then users can post and discuss the the changed image here. PLEASE TAKE CONSENT FROM THE POSTER BEFORE YOU DOWNLOAD/EDIT OtHERS' IMAGES. Please keep files sizes small - preferablly less than 650pixels on longer side.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Raviprakash S S, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

Nilanjan's image: re-crop + monochrome attempt

Postby Kaushik Balakumar » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:31 pm

Nilanjan posted an interesting image here.
I have tried (with due permission from Nilanjan) a re-crop - something very very similar to what Ganesh tried with Nurdeen's image. I also tried a monotone (sepia) conversion too. The idea again was to emphasize on the baby/mother. The original frame was good by itself, but the baby was 'lost' in a small corner with the vast space in the frame.

Monochrome (below):

rgds,
Kaushik
Last edited by Kaushik Balakumar on Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Kaushik
website | facebook | blog
Kaushik Balakumar

Re: Nilanjan's image: re-crop + monochrome attempt

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:21 am

Kaushik,

YOu may want to provide a link to this thread on the Nilanjan's mage. THe way to do that is type 'left square bracket' url=this threads url 'right square bracket' text for for the link 'left square bracket' /url 'right square bracket'. Where right and left square brackets are single keys. If you
have difficulty read more on BB Codes.

I agree with this crop from emphasizing interaction better. My only wish was baby being bigger in the frame in the original image.
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Re: Nilanjan's image: re-crop + monochrome attempt

Postby Nilanjan Das » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:06 am

Sorry it took me a few days to search out where Kaushik actually posted the modified image of my submission. :D Well all I can say is that now am getting more courageous about crops. I like Kaushik's views, but everything said and done, Ganesh is just right. The baby is not showing much in the image. The cropped subject is still the major subject, the details of the calf is not strong enough to actually take the eyes away from the mother elephant which underwent heavy surgery. Nothing goes negative, I learnt a lot from the postmortem done on this image.If I plan to crop an image, the details in the subject ( same or another ) needs to be very strong. Thanks guys for a take home lesson. :)

Nilanjan
Nilanjan Das

Return to Illustration Forum